Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

What Do You Do All Day?

People often ask, "What do you do all day?" when they find out I am on maternity leave. Silly question. What else is there to do? I take care of my baby all day, init? What else could I be doing? People that ask that question seem to think that I am sitting pretty eating bonbons and watching tv. While I must admit to having watched more than a few Bridezillas, What Not to Wear, Whose Wedding Is It Anyway, and just about any other show on WE tv or Style Network, I am all tved out at this point and there is a lot more to this phase in my life than leisurely living.

Seriously, I don't know how full-time stay-at-home moms (SAHMs) do it. I get so tired trying to juggle everything! There's always something to do. Whereas at work, my nine to five, I get some downtime and a lunch break on top of that. I just had an epiphany - the difference between moms who work at home and outside the home is that one has a start time and an end time. A nine to five can be just that - from 9am to 5pm. Not so much when you work at home. Not that I am complaining - I get to be with my son Blu all day long and his dad is jealous that he can't do the same. It's a blessing and a privilege to be able to spend this time at home with my son. Apart from the obvious bonding, I get to see him smile (which is still rare at this stage), hear him make the funniest noises, and decide which of his baffs he is going to wear that day before he gets too big and outgrows it.

I am really not looking forward to going back to work at this point. Well, sometimes I really really want to go back. It would be nice to get away from the expectations people place on a wanabee SAHM. I feel bad when my house is in a mess and people come over. Surely, they must be thinking, "What does she do all day?" Also, shouldn't there be food - cooked food - in the house if I am home? I think it is rather expected and sometimes I just want to go back to work so that I don't feel as guilty for not having it together. It is safe to say that I couldn't a full time SAHM. I am not cut out for housework. I would love to be a SAHM but don't nobody expect me to cook and clean. If we ever decided that I would stay home, my job would be to hang out with Blu - feed him, dress him, take him to the park and on play dates. I can do laundry and cook a few times a week but that's the most I can commit to.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

is blu his real name?

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really do like your blog and you're a pretty decent writter...I still need to figure out whom you are!

Congrats on becoming a new mom...enjoy all the moments and some

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*writer* that is!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Nonesuch said...

Blu that an interesting name. i feel you about stayong home and watching them grow. I took 3 years off work to have my babies and i loved every minute of it. The down sides was watching all ur mates snatch up all the 'good' job and wondering will i find a job when i'm finally ready to go back to work?

i guess my fears where unfounded cos i have a JOB now but i miss my time wt the boys. so enjoy every moment.

6:26 AM  
Blogger SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Staying home with kids is tough. Don't care what anyone says! Don't kill yourself oh. If you cook, then don't clean, lol!

Take care of you and Blu. Congrats and best of luck!

solomonsydelle.blogspot.com
nigeriancuriosity.blogspot.com

10:43 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I must be the last person to find out. I have been a bit out of things when it comes to blogging. As you will soon discover it's not very easy finding the time to do so with a little one on your hands.

Enjoy every moment - it passes far too quickly.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@Geisha - Blu is one of his many names.

@Anon - Thanks. It's not that hard to figure me out. Many have and succeeded!

@Nonesuch - I will enjoy this time. He's already growing so big so I know this time won't last too long. Congratulations on joining the workforce after taking time off. It is scary to think that one's career might suffer as a result of having children. I'm glad that didn't happen to you.

@Solomonsydelle - Thanks for the great advice. My mom has been telling me that things don't have to be perfect. Thanks for the advice - I won't kill myself.

@Pilgrimage - Thanks, I have been out of the loop myself when it comes to blogging. I'd like to do more but can't seem to find the time. I will enjoy every moment - hope you're doing the same.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home