Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

How to ask to work from home

So, for the longest, I have been meaning to ask to work from home. Here's why. When I was interviewed for my position, I was told that six months into my job, I could work from home - full time. Trust me, I was excited beyond belief and gave my all to this job. I even told my husband to give me the room I needed to do 'extra' on the job because I wanted to prove that I was worth it. Anyway, being the efiko that I am, I didn't ask to work from home until a year into the job. Not only did I wait a whole year to ask, but I asked to work from home just one day a week. Don't ask me why. It must be a Naija thing - I didn't want to do aseju or appear overeager. I didn't want to jump at the earliest opportunity. Like mention it at my six-month review or something.

I waited a whole year to ask. You guessed it. I was refused. Soit disant that things had changed, the mood on our team was no longer the same because half of my group had been phased out. The work from home thing had been kinda sorta cancelled but I was told that if I had a business reason to work from home, I could. Now, what's a good business reason to work from home? Anyway, over time, this 'rule' has changed to "You can work from home whenever you feel like, just let me know". I take advantage of this from time to time. However, it's been a while since the other half of our team was phased out and I am thinking of asking to work from home again. This time though, I want what I was promised at my interview. I want to work from home full-time.

What are good reasons for asking for this besides the fact that I was promised this at the time of hire? I am going to speak to my boss tomorrow (for sure). I say this all the time but I mean it, I will definitely bring it up tomorrow. However, before our meeting, I want to be prepared. Anyone that can help, please do. My biggest reason for wanting to do this now is because I am preparing to have a baby and it breaks my heart to have to leave my child with people I do not know. That, and the fact that I haven't found a daycare - all the ones I called have a sixteen month waiting list. I don't think this would sit well with my boss but it's the truth. What's a girl to do? I am willing to look for another job if it doesn't go well. I just need to know now so that I can start looking. Again, it's quality of life over anything else.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my 3rd a year ago and my Mom was planning to come from naija to help out but my Dad died suddenly so she had her own grief to deal with. I ended up resigning from my well-paying, much-loved job.

People said "But it's your 3rd" like I was to throw her anywhere just because....anyway, she finally went to daycare at 1 and I was able to return to work as a temp. I'll be finding out if i'll be staying on by the end of the month but I absolutely have no regrets. God took care of me and mine then and will now and always.

BTW, I signed on to google but it keeps saying my password is incorrect yet i'm sure of it, hence the anonymous posts ojare...Ebony.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think presenting your case as if it would benefit them more for you to do your work from home is key....e.g. no commute time so you get more done, flexibility so less stress = better productivity, no calling in sick if baby is sick = more productivity, a a happy mom is a happy worker, teleconferences are common these days so you'd still be accessible, ehmmmmmmmthat's all I can think of for now. Ebony.

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your pregnancy...!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ms. May said...

Wow.....look at the way you just dropped it in there. LOL. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!! Many blessings and trust that it will be well.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Ebony,

Thanks, I really needed something like that. I'm glad you were able to stay home with your third baby for a year - that would be ideal for me as well. Goodluck with the job market - it's not always kind to women who chose to put their families first. Thankfully, there are women like Nancy Pelosi who prove that it's possible to bounce back after being away from the workforce for so long. Thanks for the advice. You bet that I'll be using it with my boss when we have our little talk.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Ms. May,

How else was I supposed to drop it? LOL. Thanks for the well wishes. It's been a great ride so far.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home