Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Friday, June 15, 2007

A Night on Broadway

I've been wanting to blog about my Color Purple experience since forever but never found time. Eventually, I bought my own damn tickets to the show (sad but true). DH never took the hint so I bought two of the cheapest seats in the house in case I had to go alone or worse still, in case I didn't end up going at all. I didn't want to be out too much cash if that happened. So we get up there and the lady asks to see our tickets, she looks at me and says dammmmmmn! I guess the seats were that bad, huh? Anyway, she takes pity on my bulging belly and lets us seat near the rail at the first level so we could have a good view without having to go way back to where our actual seats were. Thank you, ma'am!

Fantasia was fabulous! She did an awesome job acting and of course, singing. I was especially surprised by her acting ability. I know she did that Lifetime movie but I didn't see it. The cast was great. I loved Sofia and Shug Avery. Harpo didn't disappoint and the Mr. was well-portrayed. I was especially thrilled that almost all of my favorite lines from the movie were used. Anyone wanting to go see The Color Purple on Broadway should definitely go. The music was out of this world. The wardrobe was spectacular. Loved it when Miss Celie started wearing the pants. The wardrobe people did due diligence.

The only thing I had a problem with was the 'Africa' scene where they were playing some yeye (useless) Africansoundingfromttheirpointofview music and the outfits were just plain ridiculous. You know, the long flowing robes with the up to the sky headwraps? It didn't look like it could be from any particular African country that I know of. Seriously, anyone wanting to incorporate anything African into their play, movie, or whatever should consider consulting with a native of one of the 52 countries just for a teeny bit of authenticity. I am sure American audiences too are tired with the Coming to America type images and rubbish music and gibberish talk that don't make sense. Other than that, it was great. A tad bit long at almost three hours but well worth seeing from upgraded seats, if possible. If I could, I would go see the show in Chicago because I think Michelle Williams would make an interesting Shug Avery. It would be nice to see her in a femme fatale type role, very different from my impressions of her as a third of Destiny's Child.

One last thing, I always thought going to Broadway was this shishi thing to do but it turns out that you'll be okay showing up in jeans and a tee. What a spoiler. There are some things you just want to dress up for.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!
I wish you long life and prosperity.
May the good lord bless you and guide you in all you do.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Thanks, Anon!

10:52 AM  
Blogger BlogVille Idol said...

hey pple our contestants have sang their r n b song pls go and vote for ur favorite...pls help us make this contest succesful by voting..and pls drop us a comment tanx

10:03 AM  
Blogger Confused Naija Girl said...

i love color purple!!!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Lady A said...

Glad you had a nice time. Hopefully I'll be going this year to see the play. You had me laughing when you talked about the "yeye" african sounds from their poing of view, lol. I hate that. I agree, all they had to do was get with a native, or even google it. Silly. Oh well, hope all is well.

5:18 PM  
Blogger monie said...

This is one of my favorite posts of yours... I really, really enjoyed reading it...Thanks... :-)

1:19 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@CNG- I so love The Color Purple. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

@Lady A - I highly recommend going to see the one with Fantasia. It was excellent!

@Monie - Thanks, that's a really nice compliment.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home