Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Nervous

I am very nervous. I will be giving a presentation at 2:00pm this afternoon and I am a nervous wreck at 7:00am. The presentation deck hasn't been done yet. That's not why I am nervous though. I can throw the PowerPoint together in a couple of hours. It's the progress report I'll be sharing that makes me nervous. That and public speaking. I always start out well and then my voice gets shaky towards the middle when I realize who I am talking to. I start to wonder if these people take me seriously. I am younger than all of them. It is either the age gap or the fact that I am the only black person in the room. I sometimes feel that they don't take me seriously and that affects my confidence believe it or not. However, today, my problem is the fact that I know people will get on the defensive when I share their progress reports with others. They will probably start to question the source and then shoot the messenger - me. Oh well, man must chop. I'd better start thinking of a way to break the news delicately to those that didn't do so well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did the presentation go? I'm sure it went much better than anticipated..

11:19 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Thanks, Belle. My boss called me immediately afterwards and asked me how I thought it went. That's a trick question. I started listing all the things I thought went wrong. Bad idea. She told me she was calling to tell me she thought I did a great job. I should have just shut up. Lesson learned for next time. Thanks for asking!

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home