Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Lucky Thursday

My oil change has been due for the past sixty or so miles. Not being able to stand it, I called the oil change place I normally take my car to as I was leaving work. They were able to get me in as one of their last cars for the day. Not wanting to wait around, I walk to the mall to see what I could get at Banana Republic. Armed with my gift card, I wasn’t trying to be miserly. I start at the top floor with the latest non-sale stuff and realize they only have mostly fall stuff – sweaters and what not. I pick up a couple styles of cropped pants – 1 pair of bermuda style shorts and 1 pair of dress shorts. Full price at $58 and $78, but who cares? My gift card will cover it. Big difference between spending your own cash and using other people’s money. They had nice flats on sale for $29 but none in my size. A sales girl offers to get a room started for me so I hand her my loot and head downstairs to see what else they have. To my surprise, they have suits on sale. I mean, a little more than $120 total. Excited, I dig in and cop one white linen suit, a black suit and a pair of black pants.

Soon enough, there comes this ultra flaming sales guy. He offers to help and I ask if they have long pants instead of regular length. Looking at the pile I have acquired, he sizes me up and goes, “No, we don’t but I do know that since you are only buying things on sale, you won’t find any down here.” I was like, whaaaaaaat? I couldn’t believe my ears. Men, I have chopped o. So, because I am buying stuff on sale, I am now a second-class citizen? Truth be told, I am as cheap as they come but I’ll buy full price if I really like something. Here I was ready to go all out and this guy comes with this nonsense. He notices that I’m not feeling his cheapskate bias, then says to make me feel better, “You can go up and try the regularly priced long pants and see if you like them better.” Gee, thanks. I replied, “No thanks, I have the long pants and know what they look like on me.” Yup, I’d actually worn those pants earlier in the week. I’d bought them previously at full price and wanted a second back-up pair. He seemed apologetic but whatever. With my mood altered, I just get the jacket to go with the pants I already have. Still a good deal at $79.

I check the time and realize it’s almost time for the oil change place to close for the day. I call up there quickly to see if my car’s ready and it is. I walk briskly to the place, illegally crossing the street at one point because I don’t want them to close up with my car in their garage. When I get there, I notice the garage door is locked. I pray they are still open. They are and the guy at the register types my info into his computer and says, “I see you have a coupon for a free oil change.” Hmmm... That’s funny, I didn’t have a coupon. I tell him so and he insists, today’s your lucky day you’ve got a free oil change. Now, that’s nice. Just as well, I really wasn’t trying to spend any of my own money today anyways. Happy Thursday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home