Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

What Am I Doing Here?

Just about every day, I ask myself the question, "What am I doing here?" As much as I love my life here, that question never seems to go away. I identify myself as Nigerian even though I am half Nigerian. I was raised in Nigeria, went to school in Nigeria, and lived most of my life in Nigeria. Living in Nigeria was tough but I look back with mostly fond memories. Absence does make the heart grow fonder because life wasn't always all that great. However, I look back with some kind of nostalgia. Whenever I prepare to go back to Nigeria, it is with great joy and excitement. The thought of being with family and friends, eating our local delicacies and hanging out at the newest spots is what gets me excited.

Getting there, I often find, is another story. As I reflect on my last three visits back home, two out of the three were clouded with tears of frustration. On one of those visits, I had promised my boss that I would check email since I was planning to be out of the office for a whopping two weeks. I took my laptop with me and prepared to have a working holiday. Not once was I able to connect to the internet on my laptop. I had to go to a cybercafe to check any email. Checking work email and doing anything work-related was a no no because it was a breeding ground for Yahoo Yahoo boys and I didn't want to compromise such sensitive information. In fact, I remember once checking my account balance on line and using my body to cover the computer. I knew it wasn't a great idea but I needed to do a quick check on things. I was prepared to face the consequences and am happy to report that nothing went wrong there.

Power or lackthereof, was a huge source of frustration. My family had a generator that was kept on during the day but turned off at night. Even though some might say we are lucky to have a 'gen', I describe that experience as a nightmare. The noise emanating from it was so loud, it was difficult to think. Also, the fact that no matter what we tried, the house stayed suffocatingly hot is another issue. Most homes in Nigeria are built with this solid concrete that does nothing for our environment. Building technology doesn't seem to have evolved. People still use the same techniques they have been using for decades. Actually, I take that back. I understand that the colonial homes were kept cool because of the way they were built. I also remember my grandparents' home in Surulere being cool and it had that craftman feel. I digress but that heat was a mother. I am as tough as they come but one day, after being trapped in what seemed like an iron fortress, I just broke down and cried out of frustration. Iron fortress is not an exaggeration, all windows have some kind of iron bars to protect criminals from gaining access. Security, of course, is another matter altogether. I went to Nigeria ready to party with friends and family but was constantly reminded of how dangerous it is to go out at night. In fact, the few times we went out, I remember praying that we got wherever we were going and back safely.

Even after such reminders of the not so smooth and easy Nigeria, I want to go back. It sounds romanticized to people here but I feel compelled to do something. In fact, I can imagine people laughing at some ideas that I have for community building and giving back. The last time I was in Nigeria, I visited the Motherless Babies Home in Lekki - one of the nicer neighborhoods in Lagos. It was unbelievable that people in the community were not taking care of their kids. As far as I am concerned, those kids belong to the Lekki community as well. I was told by one of the matrons that they see a lot of activity around Christmas. That is when people are the most generous and remember the poor in society. That is the same way here in the US. People feel compelled to give back around the holidays and that's about it. Anyway, I remember being shocked at the state of things at the Motherless Babies Home. Prior to getting there, I'd stopped at some supermarket in Lekki to pick up groceries/provisions for the kids. I wasn't sure what they might like but I bought the things that I liked as a kid - milo, milk, jam, biscuits, bread, butter, custard, oatmeal, juices, etc. and some that I really don't like - Golden Morn. All the while thinking, I don't know what they are feeding this kids but if this is a treat for them, so be it. I remember being shocked at the peeling paint, the stench, and the kids. I picked up what seemed like a little girl and saying "Aren't you a cute little girl?" and the matron tells me that's a little boy. In a pink dress! Wow. Apparently, they didn't have enough little boy's clothes. The biggest shocker for me was a room where they had mentally ill children. One boy probably aged eight or nine was in a cot, banging his head against it- on and on and on and on. Continuously. Obviously, he was mentally challenged but to sequester him like that felt cruel. Before I go on any further, I'd like to say that I found the ladies there amazing. There were two of them in there that day taking care of maybe sixty children? I didn't have much money on me but I gave them all that I had just for them. How could I not, they are truly angels to take care of the kids with smiles on their faces. While I was there, they had a visitor who apparently comes regularly to take some of the kids out. Her accent was Australian or possibly South African and we chitchatted about the kids and she left with one of them. She'd apparently taken a liking to this little dreadlocked boy whom she changed and dressed before they took off for the weekend. I stayed behind and watched tv with the kids. It was unbelievable how they all seemed to be clamoring for my attention. They either wanted to sit on my lap or wanted me to carry them.

Long story short. Those are some of the reasons I want to go back home. My life would be more meaningful if I could do more for the kids in our communities. I know it is challenging, I know my judgement may be cloudy but that's my first home. I miss it and if can do a little bit to help, I would be over the moon.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

I know exactly where you are coming from. I too am half Nigerian but always identify myself as Nigerian when asked where I am from - although it is blindingly obvious that I am mixed.
Everytime I go back home on a visit, it's always with a mixture of emotions - excitement at going back home, a place I am most comfortable in, if I am honest, and trepidation - because I know exactly what it will be like : the heat, restricted access to the techonogy I am used to accessing freely here and concern about safety. However, unlike you, I have absolutely no desire to move back home at all. The experience of living in Nigeria for 30 years is still too fresh in my mind to even consider returning back there. For now, visits will just have to do.

When I have clear-outs of my clothes and my daughters I could cry. I wish so badly that I could bundle up all the clothes I am throwing out and send them all back home to people who really need them e.g the motherless babies homes. Instead they go to the already rich charities here in the UK. Sad.

I really admire you for wanting to go home and give something back.

8:20 AM  
Blogger ayoke said...

Hmm...

Gbemi, I understand your sentiments. Will probably post a detailed comment later. For now, all I can say is that you really need not be here to give back to the community. I would dread a situation where you return and start having regrets after 2 months. I live in Nigeria and I don't pretend that it easy.

I'll definitely be back to post a more substantial (and perhaps, more convincing) comment.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dream is to do something involving abandoned children in nigeria. it seems daunting though, because that country lacks infrastructure. I havent been back in nigeria for 10 years, and i too tend to glamorize it in my head.

BTW, what other country are you from?

8:29 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@Pilgrimage - I think it is great that you are clear about your desire to not move back home. I sometimes find myself and others flip flopping and that is a barrier to settling down successfully away from home. I concur with you on the pain you feel when clearing out unwanted items. Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to ship them to Nigeria and other parts of Africa? Actually, I think that would be a great project. I wonder if there are any companies that would assist with shipping clothes, toys, books, etc to Africa. I imagine that there are countless Africans living abroad that would be delighted to give away unwanted items to other Africans in their home countries.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even for us here, it's difficult living in Nigeria. Even when i visit the UK for two days i dread coming back. I've lived here in Nigeria all my life and if it's that way with me then anyone can understand with you.
It's great that you have a heart that leads you to give to orphans. Please keep that candle burning. You'd be giving those little kids a new life without knowing it!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you went to visit my babies!
i would ask after them but you probably dont know their names. those kids are adorable and if you hear how they came to be there, its so sad. but some of them do have family, just that they dont have mothers (maybe their mothers died during childbirth) hence the name. did you know that they are named after the governor...so theres a lot of tinubus there.

some ppl come there regularly tho and are always giving, companies too. i think chevron even built a classroom.

they eat very well there, but its always nice to bring stuff esp for the babies that cant be breastfed, their food is quite expensive. we had a party for them once, stuff they dont normally eat, ice cream cookies stuff like that. after the party and over stuffing themselves. most of them jst had a small bowl of icecream adn one cookie and some mentos! ahmed who had had two bowls of icecream, said next time he wants jollof rice and chicken!

i almost died laughing.

btw u never said where u were from (the non naija one)

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home