Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Office Space

What is it with office space in America? People get so offended when they are relegated to windowless offices, cubicles, smaller cubicles, etc. It's funny how people that have offices feel a sense of pride saying "Why don't you come up to my office and we'll have a quick chat?" Uh, why don't we talk over the phone? I'm not really interested in that piece of art you got from Italy. Let's just get the work done.

I don't know what class it was during undergrad but we were learning about cultural differences and how office space in particular is very important to Americans. The bigger the office, the higher up you must be. Well, that's not always the case. At least not for my company. Some assistants have offices while some managers have cubicles. It's a case of first come first served. No biggie. I will admit though that coming in as a newbie, I was a little surprised to have been given a cubicle. I expected I would get an office but whatever, I moved in and got used to it quickly. No big deal. I don't ever feel attached to spaces. I don't have pictures of family, friends and furry friends plastered on the walls or on my desk.

I always find it amusing when I get out of a meeting and someone says, "Why don't I follow you to your office to continue our discussion?" and then I say, "Sure, I'm in that cubicle over there, follow me." You should see the looks on their faces. Priceless. What's the big deal people? Get over yourselves. An office does not define you. Equally, a cubicle does not define you. Do your work and go home. There you can get the bedroom with the window. On a scale of one to ten it is really not that serious.

Seriously, what is the big deal, folks? Just recently, four office spaces became available and people were surprised that I did not jump into one of them. How about it takes a whole day to move? First of all, you actually have to pack your stuff and then you have to call someone to come get your boxes and move your phone and computer? I feel like I just moved here so I am in no hurry to pack up. Maybe later but not right now. I can already feel the excitement as people peek in and start taking bets about who's going to get which one. Of course, no one is going near the windowless offices.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i personally hate cubes. why? something about people peering over my shoulders, and into my computer screen

8:26 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

People are fucking weird.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Belle - I never quite thought of it that way. My boss actually made me move into an office. I guess she felt sorry for me...

Briz - Why do you say people are weird? Curious because you seem kinda sorta weird to me. Leaving comments on people's blogs using unsavory language.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home