Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Having a Blast!

So, I'm in the DC area for the next couple of days. Came here for work first, play second. Yeah, right. Anyway, now that work is over and done with, I can settle in and have a fun couple of days. Yesterday, after a round of meetings and display of good employee behavior (responding to emails as soon as they appeared in my inbox and checking in on things back at the office), I decided to hit up Adams Morgan. Whaaaaaaaaat! That place is the bomb. My only regret was that I was solo the whole time. While I enjoy hanging out by myself, I always wish that DH is with me to share these experiences.

Nevertheless, I had heard about this African restaurant that I MUST try when I'm in DC so I went. Since it was African and I wasn't sure who I could run into, I made an attempt to look semi-decent. Wore my new jeans, a blousy-looking tee (gotta love those - only 10 bucks), accessories, and heels. Anyways I took off in search of this African restaurant. I must have come on a bad day because I totally couldn't eat the rice. It was all good though because I enjoyed the atmosphere. As I walked in, people were kinda looking a little curiously cause I was sans any company. The waiter was like, "Two?" and I said, "No, one, thanks." Anyway, after the initial whatever whatever, I took a seat in the back, ate all the chicken and watched people having a blast. There was this one woman that got so drunk her friend had to take her to the bathroom. It was funny how ticked off her friend was because she had been having a great time now comes 'Chontae/Risi/Chika' messing up the move. All the same she was nice to her friend – taking care of her and gushing after her to make sure she was okay.

There was also this one Zidane-y looking German guy seated next to me. I guess he saw me staring at his wings and offered me some. Nah, don't eat wings from strangers. I didn't say that though. Anyway, the guy was pretty interesting. I asked him if he came there often cause he was obviously enjoying himself. I didn't really hear his response but I gathered so because he said to try the fish next time I come and started talking about the live band. Oh really? Live band? I should have had a nap before going because I would really have enjoyed that. Anyway, the guy's background seemed pretty interesting – works for the World Bank, lives in Africa, was raised in Africa, etc. I hung around see if I could catch some FREE live music but it was getting late (around tenish) and I had started yawning already. These days, I need to catch a few zzzzzzzzzs if I want to do any late night moves. I people watched for a few more minutes.

Not too far from me was this couple that walked right in from the street. They looked pretty interesting and I was curious to see what they would order. They had wings for appetizers. Those wings must have been good. They went through the whole thing so fast. For their entree, the woman/wife ordered rice, vegetables and shrimp and the guy had fufu, vegetables and the same chicken I had. I told my next door table mate it was nice talking to him and bounced. It must have been abrupt because he seemed a little surprised. I guess it's good to have company when you're eating alone but oga, I don marry o. I would definitely go back there, I probably caught the rice on a bad day but the atmosphere was cool. I enjoy people watching.

The fun part of the evening came much later. Since I had eaten so little, I decided to spoil myself with a little scoop of ice cream. I got the espresso one because I needed to wake up a little. As I walked towards the ice cream place, I heard what sounded like karaoke on the other side of the street. The dude’s voice was totally whack but he kept singing. I couldn’t help myself, I jaywalked to the other side of the street to watch this live music. It so cracked me up! People were standing around watching him and laughing. A couple of guys were booing but others were mostly cheering. I laughed my head off. At one point, I went to help the guy out – we sang Enrique Iglesias’ Hero. Now, my voice was even whacker than the dude so it was ridiculous! I don’t know why I joined him. Singing in the streets is typically not my idea of having a good time. I don't ever karaoke. The whole thing was so funny, I was laughing as I sang along because my voice is terrible. Before I knew it, people started taking pictures. Abeg o, please do not use my picture for Girls Gone Wild. I asked one girl that had been taking pictures to take some pictures with my camera of me and karaoke guy so I have a couple to look back on. Woulda posted them today but my cable thingy is at home. That was fun!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home