Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Clothing Drive

So, I've got the wheels set in motion for my clothing drive. February 16th is the deadline for my family, friends, co-workers, etc to give me new and gently used clothes for my children. My children = the children (1-18) in the orphanages in Naija and the newborn babies in Rwanda. I am so glad to have gotten it off the ground. I actually started telling people last year but received a couple of nasty emails.

There's always a silver lining though. One of my friends has been so super collecting donations on my behalf. This past weekend, she dropped off bags and bags of clothes and she's got more coming. God bless you, B! My lil' sis has also donated some new clothes fresh from France. God bless you, GB! So many people have promised to clear out their closets before my deadline. It's all wonderful. I can't wait to box them all up and ship them off to their final destinations.

DH and I somehow got talking about how many pens we have in the house. It's ridiculous. We have loads and loads of pens. It's also funny because at my desk at work, I always have to scramble to find my one lonesome pen. Anyways, I grabbed a handful on my way out the door ('cause I'm tired of looking for that one biro) and he was like why don't we ship some to Naija. I found that in itself so funny. Ship biros? Alrighty then. He was like, what if we got boxes and boxes and shipped them to kids in Naija schools? We talked some more about it and thought maybe after this clothes drive, we'll do a school supplies drive and find a school in Naija that we'll supply with all manner of school supplies. Neat, ain't it? We'll see about that if people aren't tired of me by then. Asking for donations can almost seem like begging. You have to be strong-willed about it.

I'm still looking for someone to ship my stuff to Naija and Rwanda. I heard there's some guy that'll ship for $2 per pound. That doesn't sound like a bad deal. If that doesn't work out, I'll use the good old US Postal Service. I'm hoping I can get a reliable shipping agent though. Anyone knows one in Atlanta, please let me know. I've heard of some people that'll do it but you have to get the stuff to New York.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Uzo said...

Sucha worthy cause...Good work....

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats so cooool!
i have loads of clothes i gave my mum to give away but they're still lying around. they're mostly really old AND roughly used but i still would like to get them to people who really need them.
it's so great what you're doing though.
how are u gonna make sure they get to the right shelters/charities?

4:50 PM  
Blogger SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

This is a good initiative that you have started. You might want to contact refined one angel a nigerian blogger that moved back to Naija from uk. She does charity work and can possibly help you. I have her on my blogroll at www.nigeriancuriosity.com. I bet she could provide suggestions.

Please keep up the good work!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Naapali said...

How can I help?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@ Uzo - It'll be a worthy cause when I get the clothes in the hands of the children.

@Geisha - Perhaps there's someone else that could help you deliver the clothes? I have a couple of trustworthy contacts that will receive the clothes and distribute them to children in need.

@SolomonSydelle - Thanks, I'll check her out. I'll also check out your blot.

@Naapali - Thanks for asking! Do you have clothes or know people that can donate some clothes? That's the biggest thing. Also, for the babies, they need EVERYTHING imaginable. So anything you can do would be great. Do you want to take this offline? I'll leave you my email address.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool! I thought maybe you were doing this as part of an organization but this is awesome.

I'll have to pick your brains for the logistics of it sometime...

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home