Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Totally Uninspired

I'm at this stage in my life where I need to take concrete steps to make my life more meaningful. That sounds so cliche but I need to do something MORE with my life. I have tons of ideas but I haven't been inspired to take the next step. My mind's been working overtime and there's been pressure from DH to do SOMETHING already but yet nothing. Maybe I need to take a trip to home country to get some motivation. It always helps spur me into action or at least gets my creative juices flowing.

Here's one idea I have floating around - I think I may have even blogged about my experience visiting the Motherless Babies Home in Lekki and seeing a little boy dressed in little girl clothing. I want to organize a clothing drive specifically for kids. I have tried to talk to my friends about this but somehow the conversation turns back to them/us: Em, what if I have another baby? It's been five years but you never know? So when next are we taking a trip? We need to take a vacation! Huh? I just told you about these kids needing clothes and that's what you have to say?

I can't really blame anyone for not seeing my vision. It's my deal not theirs. Also, I have been a total slacker. It has been a while since I took that trip but haven't done too much since then. I need to investigate this further - Is it okay to give little kids used clothes? I could always ask for new clothing but don't know that I can go far with that. It might be best to start with what people don't want and gradually move up. What about the jazz issue? I have heard that some Naija people don't like to give away their used clothes for fear that those that receive them will harm them with black magic. Also, how do I get the clothes there if I do a drive here? It can get expensive mailing these things - I know from experience. I can only pay for so much shipping. I think about all these issues and hit the brakes.

Well, if it doesn't work out in Nigeria, what about Rwanda? Maybe I need to concentrate on Rwanda. I know for a fact that they appreciate the clothes. I've given away new and used items from Blu's layette and have been told how appreciative the new mothers over there are. I feel I should do more than just that but I'm stuck - totally uninspired. Maybe I need to find someone who shares this passion and take this one step further.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is a wonderful idea. Even for Nigeria and part of that charity drive could include monetary donations that would be used to ship these things. Even thrift stores here can sell/donate the clothes/toys they couldn't sell. However, used clothes are "officially" banned in Nigeria so that might get sticky.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Nonesuch said...

the children will take used clothes and i think ur odea is brillant. dont give up. hook up with people like Funmi Iyanda check her blog fiyanda@blogspot.com. she is organising something with the remand home in Lagos. She can also link you with Rev Dele George of Little Saint Orphanage. Please dont send it all to Rwanda.
How is Blu?

5:23 AM  
Blogger In my head and around me said...

I am actually in the middle of a clothing drive and my principal target orphanage is one at Ajah. I hear that things are really bad there. I remember the post you did - the boy hitting his head continuously on a bed post. Heart-rending.

I think that this need to DO something particularly kicks in after one has experienced motherhood. It certainly did in my case.

If you need to holla, e-mail me at: inmyheadandaroundme@gmail.com

2:41 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@Cynthia - You bring up a good point. I didn't realise used clothes were banned in Nigeria. I wonder if it makes a difference that it's for charity?

@Nonesuch - I tried to get Rev. George's contact information (email or phone) through Link-a-Child, I'll see what happens. Blu's great - thanks for asking.

@Inmyhead- I think I have always felt this way but you're right, I am definitely more sensitive to children's issues now that I'm a mother. I will email you to get more information about the orphanage i.e. number of children, their ages and gender. Maybe we can do something between us? Thanks!

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home