Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Friday, January 04, 2008

Advice for 2008

I got this from a friend and some of the points the writer made struck a chord with me. The first one about discarding people or events that do me no good, for one. I noticed that after the birth of my son, I have been cautious about how I spend my time and who I spend it with. There are so many friends that have had to go and not necessarily because they were bad but because they didn't add value to my life or weren't positive. Anyway, enough talk. Here's the shortened version of someone's "Good Points for 2008". Some apply and some don't.

Good Points for 2008
Best Wishes in 2008!!
o Go through your cell phone, caller id, calendar, and email addresses and discard all the people and events that mean you no good or don't benefit your life!
I sure will. There are some people I ain't called in a while and something tells me I am not going to call them any time soon.
o Stop making excuses about your life and make changes!
True.
o If you are involved w/ a person, job, or circumstance that is doing more harm than good, do yourself a favor - LET IT GO!
Hmmm, this applies to many someones I know.
o Take care of your kids and devote a weekend or two when you spend "quality" time with them. Who cares if you miss out on a "mix"! You can
party anytime!
Okay, no nanny this weekend. She was scheduled to come for no particular reason. I'll ask her not to come. Next weekend though is a different story I've got something really exciting going that doesn't involve kids - Mama's gotta get her groove on.
o Get your debt in order! Eventually you'll want a nice home and car in your name!
In my case, you'll want to borrow money for business. So girl, keep your money straight.
o Listen more! Talk Less!
I agree. My lips are sealed.
o Tell him no for once!
Why? Whad’he do?
o Tell people you love them before your hear about some great tragedy inthe world or lose a close friend!
This is tough. I am Naija we don’t really say “I love you”.
o Stop being someone's mistress; especially if you are aware that youare!!!!
o Stop waiting on Tax Season and Save Now!
Wasn’t really waiting on tax season, Uncle Sam isn’t that generous. I do have to save a lot more though.
o Eat what you need and not just because you can!
This is so true. I need to cut back seriously.
o Be more positive and stop being a grouch!
Can I be a grouch in the mornings though?
o STOP HATIN! If you don't like my style, DO YOU!
o Start telling your children that when you're having a "grown folks" conversation, they need to go play. (Remember back when)
This is true. I see so many kids gleefully listening in on grown folks’ conversations. People, you can’t really code in your native tongue. Your kids are sharper than you think.
o Men and women! Cry more! It's therapeutic.
o Stop tripping about not being where you want to be! What have you beendoing to get there?!?
I am so guilty of this. I capital B all the time about how I am not where I want to be but don’t do anything to get there.
o If you aren't in relationship, it's not the end of the world! Self loveis waaaaay more valuable!
o Keep your opinion to yourself! We all know what others should do, but what about you?
This reminds me of a story about this HIV positive woman in Naija that was featured on CNN. She said “I have HIV but what about You?” People would sneer at her about her status but really, what about you/me?
o If God delivers you from a messy relationship, friend or situation, whydo you keep PULLING THEM BACK? Let it go!
I love that - delivered - sometimes we do need to be delivered from certain relationships, friends, or situations.
o FORGIVE! FORGIVE! FORGIVE! All of us have been forgiven for some low life things! So open your heart! Remember - God forgave you.
o Learn a new hobby! Broaden your mind.
True. I need to learn to bake. I have been saying that forever.
o If you're single, start going on more dates with different types of people. Don't just stick to the same type of woman or man!
Again this applies to many someones.
o Stop forwarding all the text messages you receive; everyone doesn't have unlimited text messages!!
LOL!
o Lastly, if it's only 5 minutes a day have a little talk with Jesus! Let Him know you want to be better today than you were yesterday and watch Him turn things around for you!
So true.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy new year!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Geisha - Happy New Year to you too! I am so looking forward to it.

9:00 AM  
Blogger In my head and around me said...

Happy New Year! All the Best.

Did you get my mail?

6:39 AM  
Blogger Uzo said...

Some of these are pretty insightful too....

8:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't agree with any of you.Tis is very negative ,could you not try to be pro-active.

brianClarkeNUJ

10:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Some of this is pretty inconsistent...okay so you delete the people who don't add value in your life and discard their contact information plus all those that are (in your opinion) doing more harm than good to you and then imagine that (heaven forbid) you hear about some great tragedy that has occured to them and you spend the rest of your life mulling over how just before that tragedy occured you had just deleted them forever from email/cellphone or whatever. How about trying reconcilliation for a change. If there is someone in your life who has wronged you or whatever the case may be rather than shaking them off why not invite them for a coffee and a chat or whichever works for you and them and try to find out what is going on and just generally catch up. I think this is enough to make you feel much better. People come into your life for a reason and I am of the opinion that throwing them in the dustbin because you feel that they are not adding any value to your life is just plain wrong. Granted this does not apply to everyone because there are some out there who are just 'different' but not everyone is.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year to you too.

I dont really make resolutions anymore since I dont tend to stick to them. I just take each day as it comes.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@In my head - Happy New Year. Much success in '08! Thanks for pointing me towards your email. I hadn't seen checked email in a while. I've responded so back to you :-)

@Doja - LOL. Nincompoop - that word is so funny. They must have really messed up. Oh well, more time for things/people you love.

@ Uzo - I thought so too.

@ Irishblog - Hmmm... Happy New Year!

@ Jola - I'm sure if I heard about some tragedy that occurred in their lives, I'd be able to reach them. The point is not to waste too much time on people who don't return your affections or who are simply not good for you. It's a great idea to try for reconciliation but the truth is that not everyone is on the same wave length. They may have come into our lives for a reason but maybe they've done what they were meant to do and we now need to move on. Of course you wish everyone well but you can't hold on to people just for the sake of holding on.

@ Calabar gal - Happy New Year! All the best for a great year. New Year resolutions - what are those? I'm with you there!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Gbemi, Happy New Year! I read your piece, deleted some numbers from my phone and began replying. I have one comment though...the one about single people. Often, married people or those in long-term relationships just say "Oh go out." But they forget that meeting someone is not that easy! I am single and I consantly get asked "why are you single" as though it's so easy to just jump out and find someone. I am not into clubbing and the like, so I often wonder how to find that someone. And I refuse to date someone from church; too small and I'd rather skip the drama. I enjoy your blog and I am not bitter over being single but just get tired with reading or hearing the "go out and find someone spin."

1:09 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Hi Anon! Happy New Year to you too! I understand how you must feel hearing that all the time. Maybe your friends are worried that you're not having a good time. My comment was about going out with different types of people. I know people that want one type of person and it has to do with tribe. That's all they want. I don't really understand it but I'm now into letting people be themselves. Do what makes you happy.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home