Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Weird Food Combinations

We Africans have the weirdest food combos sha. The other day, I went to the African grocery store to buy some yams, salad cream, garri and illegal i.e. not-usually-allowed mede mede (junk food) like chin chin and plantain chips. Anyhow, as I was standing in line, I perceived this fantabulous aroma coming from right behind me. Seriously, it was this strong, deep inside Isale-Eko buka-like aroma. I turned around to look and it was this dude eating from one of those syrofoam to-go boxes with the different compartments. I looked closer (nosey rosie that I am) and saw that he was eating agoyin beans. I was about to turn around to pay for my stuff when I noticed something unusual or out of place - in one of the compartments, there was a steaming peeled boiled egg on top of a small serving of spaghetti. What???? Agoyin beans with spaghetti and a boiled egg. Who eats that? How unusual.

It totally reminds me of a time I was in the Law buttery in Lag. (I don't if that's how to spell it or why a cafeteria is called a buttery). Back then, the Law buttery was the place to go if you needed something to eat between classes. Anyhow, I had just ordered my usual 1 fried rice, no meat, no nothing (I was a vegetarian then) and this girl comes up after me and orders 1 amala, ewedu, and 1 egg. First of all, you had to say 1 or 2 to indicate how many helpings you wanted. Secondly, this girl was about to eat amala with a boiled egg??? Now that's serious.

I really shouldn't be one to call what people eat weird. For lunch I had yam, stew and broccoli. Gotta get something green in there. LOL.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not weird. I love boiled eggs with everything. I have a cousin who thinks just like you. She confessed to me recently that she wished she had grown up in my house. I am quite adventurous when it comes to food. Growing up,we ate a lot of food from different tribes, all thanks to my mum who is the same tribe as my dad, go figure.

1:43 AM  
Blogger the hedonistic nigerian said...

i have seen someone mash a boiled egg into egusi 4 real ooo.i wish there was somewhere to get agoyin here in leeds tho.i miss the stuff.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Naapali said...

Pounded yam, egusi and fried plantain.

My favorite dish at lagos bukas

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love mashing eggs as my protein into any soup that draws. Although i was once surprised to see a friend eat moi-moi and dodo. her response to my confusion was "is it not beans and dodo?

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds like while both of you were vegetarians...only she was getting her protein

12:17 AM  
Blogger Teni A. said...

I love amala and boiled egg ooo with obe ewedu.....that's some good stuff........
Naija here I come in December!!!!

12:19 PM  
Blogger KemiMamaLopes said...

Brocolli, cauliflower and hot peppery meat stew.

PS. Moringa was used in ancient egypt. Saw it in the newspaper and remembered your Mum :)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had a friend who had that same fetish for boiled eggs...imagine eba and egusi soup with boiled eggs...talk about one man's meat. I still have a horrid memory of when we were younger and my brother eating eba and ewedu with ketchup. The stew was taking a while to get done and the dude was a hungry monkey...watching him eat that ruined my appetite for the rest of the week, but he was loving it...again talk about one man's meat...

10:16 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Wow, boiled eggs seem to be the thing.

@Anon 1.43, That's cool that you were exposed to different foods as a child. I was too - my mom would try recipes from Maggi Kitchen with Funmi something.

@Flame - I wish I could get agoyin here too. I shoulda asked the guy where he got his from. My amebo didn't reach there.

@Naapali - That's a first. I haven't heard of that combination before.

@Anon 12.17 - There are other sources of protein for a vegetarian diet besides eggs - any kind of legumes, soy, or nuts. I'm sure I met my quota back then.

@Omolabake - That must be the good stuff because that's exactly what my friend there was eating.

@Kemimamalopes - Sounds like my kind of thing. I'll try it out. So, Moringa's making the news these days? My mom would be pleased.

@Jola Naibi - You're right, one man's meat... I can't believe you didn't eat for a while because of what your brother did. He couldn't wait for the stew so he improvised - how typical of boys!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Fluffycutething said...

I once saw a man wolf down pounded yam with shredded beef n green pepper sauce oh!!!

And my dad told me of a classmate of his who ate/eats eba and salad.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home