Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving I had no specific plans i.e. I wasn't invited anywhere and didn't plan on cooking up a spread either. I thought it would be nice to spend the day volunteering was glad when one of my sisters came up with specific plans for us to do so. I am glad we did because HFHH never disappoints. It is always a great experience and you get to do satisfying work that leaves you feeling great.

My favorite thing to do at these dinners is to serve the people. For me, that's where the fun's at - you get to interact with people coming through the lines, you work as a team with others, and get the satisfaction of actually feeding people which is what it's all about. HFHH is actually more than just feeding the hungry, they have a free clinic, a job recruitment center, a barber shop and beauty salon (saw a lady getting her brows done), and a place where people can pick up donated clothes. It is truly awesome the work Elizabeth Omilami and her family are doing. They are keeping their father's vision alive and that's fantastic.

Interestingly enough, a few other people had the same idea this Thanksgiving. As we were coming off the elevator, Reverend Al (Al Sharpton) was trying to make his way in. I was going to tell him that I am a big fan of his work and I love his radio show - I listen to him all the time - but he took a call on his cellphone right before he got into the elevator. Congressman John Lewis was also there to volunteer. He dished out stuffing for me when I was doing the rounds. I'm not to keen on him at the moment being that he's endorsed Hillary. I wish he'd endorsed Obama. I just feel like MLK would have endorsed Obama were he alive today. For the first time that we have a viable candidate, I feel like we should all rally behind him. I digress... Keshia Knight Pulliam (Rudy Huxtable from the Cosby Show) was also there to volunteer. My sister and I were dishing out veggies next to her and her brother on the line. She's really low key. A few people asked to take her picture but she insisted on finishing the work she was there for before taking photographs. Good for her.

Happy Thanksgiving. It was a great one.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Naapali said...

Well done for being a person for others. I thought you were ATL based, sounds like an NYC crowd you described working with.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hosea feed the hungry is in the atl she said turner field alwayz, u forgot the nigerian musician that was also playing there, my husband was there also maybe next year i'll do it, i did it some few year ago it was nice helping others

4:00 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Naapali - I gained personally from that experience. That was all ATL.

Anon - I didn't see/hear the Nigerian musician while I was there.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home