Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Friday, November 30, 2007

The origin of the word pikin

DH and I were talking the other day and he wondered what the origin of the word pikin was. Without thinking, I said picaninny or is it pickaninny? Anyway, I think we get the word pikin from the word picaninny. If so, that's such a shame. Picaninny is such an offensive term for a black child. It was used way back when to describe slave children. In fact, I remember reading a book in my Literature class in college and the white woman in the story said something about picaninnies. How disparaging. My professor (a white man) had to apologize - he too hated the word. Anyway, if that's truly the origin of the word pikin - don't nobody ask me about my pikin again. Seriously, don't say: "How the pikins dem?" I won't say it either.

Speaking of disparaging words or terms. I seriously hate the word akata. On behalf of all black people, all African Americans, that term should not be used ever. It is such a disparaging term. It is so easy to be in the company of other Nigerians and use the word. It seems to flow easily for some people. Talking about akata this, akata that. Not always in a bad light, they might say "How is that your akata friend?" referring 'fondly' to a friend of mine. I just hate it for all that it represents. I especially hate it when you remind people of the origin of the word and they insist on using it. Can't we come up with another word for African American?

10 Comments:

Blogger Naapali said...

To my knowledge u are right about pikin's origin. However, can a word not outgrow its root? I do agree with you about Naija use of offensive/derisive terms for others, akata, jamo, chinko, kokoye, paki to name a few. i do not use them.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Naapali said...

Hi,

these are the rules

Join me in the Thankfulness Chain....if you've been tagged, please complete the tag on the assigned day example... if you're tagged for November 21... that is day 21 and you should title your post 30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 21 provide a link to the person that tagged you previously Also provide a link to the two people that you're tagging for the next day so we can all follow the chain... Do let them know they're being tagged.. why they're being tagged, and how to grow the chain if you're unable to do the tag on your assigned day... still choose the day to reflect the date you do it (if you're choosing not to back date it) ...example... if you're tagged for November 25 but dont get to do it till November 27... and you're not back dating.. it's okay to do it as Day 27 you can post these rules or something to this effect to help it along

5:21 PM  
Blogger Uzo said...

You are quite right with the origins of pickin...

Akata...i think that with words like this and the ever controversial N word, people have just gotten used to using them without thinking about the source or true meaning of the words

5:58 AM  
Blogger Ms. Catwalq said...

African American: Amero...
I am razz, I know. Have I added to the list of racist names?

4:23 AM  
Blogger Ekoakete said...

Yep you are right about the origin of the word. While I do think in this instance the word has far outgrown it's source, the same can't be said for the 'N' word for instance. So I guess some will gladly continue to use the word and others will just dessit. Just what is the source of 'Akata' by the way? I must confess I never really saw it as a derogatory term

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really would like to know the source of the word 'akata' because I've argued with others about the word as I don't know/think it is derogatory. But that's because I don't know what it means...

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

terms like jamo, chinko, paki mr. patel to me are like oyinbo, they are neutral terms, now the person using them may dislike those groups of ppl but it doesnt mean the word itself is offensive.

as for akata, that one is special because a lot of nigerians use the word to mean something bad, i dont know its true etymology but i think it was formerly neutral but isnt. ajereke is way more offensive in my opinion

as for pikin, the name has outgrown its root. i think you are just inviting unnecessary trouble by making a big deal out of it. the same way some ppl want to make a big deal out of half caste, as if anyone in nigeria uses it in derogatory manner psshw

11:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah, akata is a term that doesn't mean what people say it means-its just a word that people take and use badly. people do not use it in a deregotary manner because Nigerians usually don't think like Americans. all that P.C stuff-even if they are making fun of you like "big head" or whatever you know its not a true diss

11:40 AM  
Blogger chioma said...

whats the origin of akata? and seriously dear for us in naija..pikin na pikin..though i know it was derived from picaninny the common man who uses it doesnt associate with our colonial masters..Happy Holidays girl! and ps kids alway betray us by saying da da first.

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what races do kokoye, ajereke and mr. patel refer to?
and please someone tell me the origin of 'akata'.
i also think they are neutral terms, very much like saying 'idiot' in jest, or whatever. drawing attention to the negative connotations makes everything more complicated than is necessary

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home