Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Monday, September 17, 2007

War of the Paci(fier)

From day one we've been ambivalent about whether or not we would use pacifiers. I did not have any particular opinion for or against but the people around me had definitive opinions about whether or not to introduce them to infants. Those who were for pacis thought they were a lifesaver and like visa (or Mastercard) they wouldn't go anywhere without it - ROCKS (as in dry joke). Anyway, those that were against pacis warned us not to even start because there would be no end to it - it would be hard to wean him off it if we ever started.

Our decision was made for us when one of the lovely nurses at the hospital wheeled in our little man and there he was with a paci in his mouth totally going for it! Chei! How for do? From that day on, we figured we'd be a paci family. My mom, by the way, isn't against pacis so that kinda sorta made me feel good. Now, not only are we a paci family, we are a very specific type of paci family. In short, Blu only likes one paci. Don't ever give him any other kind of paci, you would deeply, deeply regret it. The paci he loves is the same one he was given at the hospital. There must be some kind of jazz (African magic) in it.

So, we started out with three of these lovely pacis and after a couple of episodes - one fell down in a public bathroom and another fell down in the parking lot - we are down to one. In a panic, I started looking for this paci everywhere ...well, just Target, but I didn't find it there. I looked closely at the last paci standing and noticed that there was a phone number on it in very small print. Thank God for Marketing geniuses! That had to be a Marketing person that campaigned to have the toll-free number in front of the paci. I dialed that number and they referred me to their website. I take that back, that Marketing person was no genius - why not just put the webbie on the paci if that's the sole means of distribution? I digress. I have now ordered three additional pacis and can't wait for them to get here. We were out today and I kept holding on to the paci for dear life just in case it dropped from his mouth. God help us! I know, I know, I really should buy one of them paci attachers, right? Or perhaps even wean him off completely? The former is a lot easier to do so as soon as I get a moment, I'll go look for an attacher.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ur motherhood stories make me laugh!
maybe i should be taking notes oh... let us know how the pacifier thing works out in the long run!

4:58 PM  
Blogger STREETBRAND said...

Good post; i should come back here more often.

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is moringa?

do not get depressed about ur weight: 9 months to put it on, shd take 9 months to take it off as well. As for me, need my boobs done. Once firm and pert, after breastfeeding 2...they point down south!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@Geisha - Thanks. The pacifier thing is going. He doesn't use it as much and it's not as bad as it was. However, I am not throwing it away any time soon.

@Streetbrand - Thanks. I'll check out your blog and see what it's about.

@Anon - Moringa is a natural herb that works wonders apparently. I'm giving myself six months post baby to see some results and then I'mma go ahead and be depressed. Just kidding, I feel you on the whole going south thing.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home