Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day for Women Only?

On my way to work this morning, I pulled into a CVS to get a V-Day card for my baby daddy and it struck me based on what I found there that Valentine's Day is really geared toward women. It was hard to find any kind of baby daddy/husband/my man card - most of the cards were either for women, kids, or pets. How odd. Don't men deserve something? A token? Aren't cards the ultimate token? If I already felt bad that I didn't have anything special planned (well, just one thing really), this made me feel super bad. Not only had I left things to the last minute, now, I had to contend with a meagre selection that sucked majorly. Poor guys. Poor men, in general. What do they have to look forward to? All holidays are for women. Really. Except Father's Day and that's only if you're a dad. If you're not, then you're out of luck son. Men just have Father's Day and their birthdays and that's pretty much it.

So, my question is: Do women deserve it? Do women deserve to be at the receiving end when it comes to Valentine's Day, Wedding Anniversaries, First Date Anniversaries, First Kiss Anniversaries, and whatever else some of us hold dear? What about the men? What do they want? What would they like? This is really my year for feeling bad. I feel bad because I don't ever think of uber-romantic things to do on Valentine's Day or even on ordinary days. For V-Day, my take has always been he better do the planning. For some reason, this year, I feel like I have some responsibility. On the radio today, they were trying to save men who had forgotten to make plans for tonight from whatever punishment their partners were sure to impose on them for having the audacity to forget to make plans for an oh so important day. What role should women play on such a day? I am normally quick to be judgemental and prone to be all of a sudden traditional when I hear of women bending over backwards for their men. I am usually to ask my girlfriends: Does he deserve it? Shouldn't he be the one doing all the work? How long have y'all been dating before you start doing all these things for him? Are you even sure he is the one?

I haven't heard men protesting so maybe I should just hush and let us womens have Valentines Day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, a woman that gets it. Most females cannot think outside the self-centered prove he loves me concept. There is a generation of women who feel entitled to special treatment without reciprocation. Why have special products for men for V-day? No one would buy them.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home