Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Totally Put On the Spot

There are times when I wish I could drink on the job. Seriously. Usually before a big presentation, I wish I could knock back some vino just to be completely relaxed, confident and coole as they say in Naija. I’m usually not this tense about public speaking, it just depends on the audience. Take the time someone asked me to speak impromptu at a wedding. That was cool. I just did my thing. At work, I can be faced with skeptics especially when it comes to reporting results. Everyone’s eyes are on me like they are just waiting for me to deliver some bad news so that they can pounce on me and tear my entire report apart. O ti su mi o jare. I don tire. I am tired. Why did I have to schedule this on a Friday? That’s where the boozing tendency comes in. Not that I’m an alchy, I just feel like it might could have helped (as they say down here).

Moving on, since I can’t have vino on the job, no point in dreaming. How about my oga totally put me on the spot today? Talking about people should come to me for individual analysis? What individual analysis? I already broke it down for them already. If they are not happy, they should… I don’t know. They should just take their wahala/trouble somewhere else. Obviously, my day didn’t go as planned. I tried to be chirpy, cheery, and bubbly but it didn’t work. There was a lot of silence and stares. I worked my butt off until 11:30PM working on my presentation. Oh well, things will get better. I’m probably going to leave work early so that I can get ready for my dinner party tonight. We're having folks over and it should be fun. I still don’t know what to get/make for dessert. I’m thinking about doing something in between healthy and sinful but can’t think of anything. Looking forward to a nice long weekend. Just got my latest issue of Essence and Marketing News. Then there's school stuff I need to take care of. Will no doubt try to volunteer on Monday. Last year, my sister and I fed the hungry and homeless downtown. She’s not here this year so I’m not quite sure what to do to honor Dr. King.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What type of work do you do? You might want to buy one of those blood pressure machines and check your BP every now and then. Sometimes we get stressed without knowing it.

Dessert... go for something boring, but nice with coffee. How about home made Banana bread. Or if you insist on sinful... Cheesecake with strawberries from Cheesecake factory (assuming there is one near you). ummmmmm

Volunteering is nice ... my preference is the children's hospital... or a nursing home. Yes

Anyway, take care!

12:43 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

I've never thought to worry about my BP. Never really had reason to. I sure hope I'm okay on that level.

Great ideas - for dessert and volunteering. Haven't ever tried home-made Banana bread or volunteering at a children's hospital. Thanks!!!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home