Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Sad, but true

It just occurred to me that the reason why I spend an inordinate amount of time at work is because I am bored. Not all the time, but some of the time. I have always been the super busy kind. If it is not school I am involved with outside of work, then it’s off to the library to borrow some books, if it’s not books, then it’s some kind of side business, if it’s not business, then it’s some kind of dance class, if it’s not dance class, then it’s the gym, if it’s not the gym, then it’s hanging out. There’s the meat of the matter – my hangout buddies have gradually dwindled. I am a bored woman. A friend of mine keeps telling me that when I have kids, then we’ll be back to being tight again. I doubt it. There are lots more reasons why we are not as tight as we once were and it has nothing to do with kids. She feels that kids will slow me down and then we can both be on the same level. I can’t help but feel that maybe it’s time.

I stay at work late whenever I know DH will be working late because I don’t want to go home to an empty house. There’s a void in my life right now with the semester winding down. I have no idea what I’ll do with my extra time. I have been thinking about going back to the library and getting a bunch of books. The only thing is since my last phase of going to the library during my lunch hour at work, I have become a little bit of a germophobe. I imagine where people may have taken those books and I am thinking about just passing on that. Speaking of germophobia for a bit- the other day, I was at the DMV and a lady asked to borrow my magazine. I acted like I didn’t hear her because there was no way I could let her borrow my mag – dunno where her hands have been. If I were to let her read it, I’d have to give it to her for good.

This afternoon, I went to Checkers because I felt like a quick fast food fix. As I was waiting for my order, I watched the girl putting the food together. I noticed she didn’t have any gloves on as she served the fries. I kept praying that it was for another customer. Another colleague of hers was doing the same thing and I noticed that he had gloves on. My worst fears came true when she passed me the bag of food. I didn’t realize when I blurted out, “I apologize for the inconvenience, but I noticed that you served those fries without any gloves on, if you don’t mind…” Without saying a word, she just retracted her outstretched hand and slammed the drive-through window in my face. Next thing I knew, a guy (with gloves on) was dishing out a new set of fries. Although I appreciated her complying with my wishes, I didn't appreciate her attitude and called the 800 customer service number on the bag. I usually don't follow through with things like this but I'm curious to see if they take such things seriously. The bag read something along these lines - "We hope you enjoyed your visit, if you didn't, please call..." It will be interesting to see if Checkers follows up with me. In the mean time, what do I do to overcome this boredom?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

babe you ARE a germophobe. youre lucky the babe didnt spit into your fries!
try to chill on it abit.. tho u have every right to be concerned, you dtill have to relate with people.
take care.. have no comment on the boredom tip. i usually jus slep when i have nothing to do..

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a germaphobe too...and you've just made it worse for me by mentioning library books. Ewww..the image of someone reading in the loo comes to mind. eugh!
Oh, and I would have asked the lady for new fries too.

Let me know if you come up with any creative ways to curb boredom..lol.

You know, for some reason i thought you had a child?? I might be wrong but i thought you mentioned that before? Hmmmm.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Olawunmi said...

lol. i would have asked for new fries too. you are taking the library books thing a bit far though, because if you want to look that closely at things you can't see, then you probably would never leave home.

if you're thinking about something to fill your time with, buy a guitar and try learning to play by yourself.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Jadedkiss - Hmm...sleep sounds good. I get some of that every night, I need a little something extra to keep me going. Meanwhile, there's no way she could have spat on my fries with my eagle eyes on her the whole time. That's what makes me nervous about the food service industry - you don't know what goes on in the back.

Olawunmi - I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that would have asked for new fries. I might need to chill out on the library thing. I'm too cheap to buy all the books I really want to read so maybe I'll just buy some gloves and head to the library. Just kidding!

Belle - I may have mentioned that I had a grown child - DH. Other than that, the children of the world are my only other children. About the library, maybe I was taking it a little too far.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...think that was nice 'bout the fries. Coincidentally, almost same happen'd to me today. Personally, me think we really should express our displeasure when we don't like services offer'd us isn't satisfactory to us.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home