Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I miss my gloss


It all started in 2002 when my best friend from college, Brandi Ann and I (Marianne) talked about doing something together. She had just graduated college and we always said we would start some kind of business together. We spent many nights brainstorming and ended up deciding we wanted to be in the business of beauty. We loved many aspects of beauty so if we did anything, it had to be beauty-related. We thought about a hair salon and then ended up with a full-service spa because I wasn’t really into the idea of doing hair. She would be the hair person and I’d take care of everything else. We ended up going to check out the ‘Harvard’ of beauty schools. That’s what Empire calls themselves and were interviewed by the director. That’s about how far we got with our plans of enrolling. Afterwards, it seemed that the idea of doing something became my dream - Brandi ended up joining the US army and I decided to keep on going.

I enrolled in a program and started taking classes because my dream really was to have a nail spa for women like myself that didn’t want to go to those shady places. I wanted a place that was cheap, fun, and clean. That’s how gloss was born. We opened on October 4, 2003. It really was one of the best times of my life. I enjoyed every minute of it. From working with my newbie contractor to working with my very-absent interior designer to ordering supplies, equipment, and hiring my first set of employees. I loved thinking up a concept and bringing it to life. The day I realized how much I loved gloss was when I was cleaning up at the end of the day and realized that I was happy to do it. There were lots of challenging times especially when it came to dealing with my landlord and employees but it’s not an experience that I would ever regret.

Eventually, my landlord decided that it was time to sell the building and passed me off to the new owner who made it clear that he didn’t want us to be there. It seemed like a blessing in disguise because it had been tough juggling gloss with a full-time job. It also seemed like a good opportunity to get a location better suited to my vision of gloss. However, times have passed and I’ve grown lazy. Owning a small business is a lot of work and a lot of support is needed especially from those closest to you. I was lucky to have my sisters step in whenever I needed someone to tend to the register or take appointments. My older sister was one of my best customers – always coming in to get something done.

I seriously miss gloss. The day I decided that I wouldn’t fight my landlord and would have to close, I almost drove through a red light on my way home that night. Almost. It was that depressing. If I were to do it again, there are many things that I would do differently in terms of hiring the right people and protecting myself from lease agreements. The experience will certainly make me a better businesswoman should I ever chose to go that route. I miss my gloss, I miss my customers, I miss the smell of all those bella pella soaps, I miss running reports at the end of the night to see how we did. gloss was a huge part of my life and this is just my tribute to a long-lost friend.

Ladies' night at gloss


gloss on location at Club Monaco's Martini & Manicures Event


My favorite customer and one of my best employees


My boss lady - people assumed she was the owner

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss gloss too, don't let go of your dream.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

LOL. How come you miss gloss?

8:30 AM  
Blogger Ms. May said...

Wow. Can I pick your brain about the ENTIRE process? LOL. I'm an aspiring entreprenuer and always love to hear other people's experiences. Congrats for runnning what sounds and looks like a successful small business, also while working full-time. It's always inspiring to hear of another young woman who ran/runs her own business.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my best friend and I have been toying with the idea of a hair salon. very nice to read about your experience. Hopefully you will reopen it soon...?

5:35 PM  
Blogger ayoke said...

Just reading your November 29 post on your Mum's birthday and I think I know your Mum. If she's the person I think she is, she hosted us (West Africans) in her house in Kigali last year (April or May 2005, I think...). At the time, her family was planning for a wedding. If she is the person I think she is,she is a lovely, lovely woman.

1:11 PM  
Blogger ayoke said...

Oops! Apologies for digressing from the original post!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Gosh Gbemi, you are a woman of hidden depth! What a fantastic thing you did and you should be very proud.

Like you say running a business and working at the same time is not the easiest thing to do. My handbag business got off to a very good start but now it's tapered off because I don't know in which direction to stear (sp?) it. It's very fustrating. I am not a very good sales person - I prefer to actually make the product. *sigh* I hope I'll be able to jump start meself again in the New Year.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

3:22 PM  
Blogger In my head and around me said...

You ran a business? That is huge! I went for an enterprenurial course at Fate Foundation(www.fatefoundation.org) and I never started anything. I am hoping that sometime in the future, I will be able to start a biz on the side and still keep my job ( i like the certainty and "security" that comes with paid employment)

7:13 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Ms. May - Feel free to pick my brain any time. It was fun but there were also challenges and I'll be sharing some of them on this blog.

Belle - My husband has been encouraging me to re-open but I am not totally ready. You and your friend might be on to something great so you guys should keep discussing it.

Ayoke - That definitely sounds like my mom. She always seems to be hosting and entertaining. Thanks for your compliments about her.

Pilgrimage - I discovered that I don't like 'selling' either. Instead, I try to build relationships. I'm a talker and I like to talk to people I meet about what I have to offer and if they like, they buy. I don't like the idea of forcing things down people's throats. Instead, it should be more about making them aware of what you do. Could there be shops willing to display your products or non-competing businesses that would allow you to showcase your bags? I had a lady that sold jewelry that asked to set up a table during one of my monthly ladies' nights and I was okay with her doing it. She made money and I had something additional to offer my customers.

In my head - That entrepreneurial course you took sounds interesting. You should definitely plan your business out and get started whenever you feel ready.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations on taking that first step. Whether or not you do it again...you will always know that you can. The awesome thing about living your dream is that...the rest of the world knows that they can do it to. You go girl (i feel so cheesy)

2:07 AM  
Blogger ODODO said...

Great one gbemi, i have also been in your shoes before, having to run a small business as well as a regular job and it wasn't too easy. Eventually, i quit and i run a partnership business now; it's exciting and challenging... risky:-))

But eh! don't lose your dream, you can't take your business to its ultimate if you don't give it undivided attention.

All the best!

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home