Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A at Last

Finally, I’ve got an A in one of my classes. DH was curious about our grades in the final exam and asked if I knew when they would be published. I didn’t so I asked him to find out directly from the prof. Being the Naija-raised student that he is, he didn't take me up on my suggestion, saying that he might get some points knocked off for being ‘forward’. Me, ba, I am forward so I emailed the prof and asked when the grades would be published and if it was possible to know my grade before the publish date. That was on Friday. The prof emailed me back and said he planned to have the grades published on the 20th but he’d tell me my grade the following day, Saturday. Anyhow, early Saturday morning, I was surprised to get the following email from my prof:

“You made your usual excellent grade on the final and will receive an A for the course. (There is not an A+) Have a good holiday season.”

In short, if there was an A+ I’d be getting it, ba? Very noice. That’s going to do wonders for my stagnant GPA.

Meanwhile, my last Marketing class was on Tuesday and the prof announced that we had the option NOT to take the final if we were okay with our grades as they were. Word? Kia kia, I caculated my grade and came up with 90.6. Being ever so grateful to have crossed the ever-elusive, very impossible 90 threshold, I shouted out loud, “Thank you, God!” My prof and classmates turned around to see where that came from but I didn’t care. I packed my bag and baggages and said sayonara to my fellow classmates and went home singing all the way. I was over the moon because I never would have thought in a million years that an A would be possible in that class. Still over the moon, I went online to check my grades to confirm that my calculation gelled with my prof’s. Guess what? They are out of synch. She’s got me at an 89.78. Guess what else? She doesn’t ‘round’. An 89.99 is a B in that class. Anywhere else, it would be rounded to an A.

So there goes my short-lived perfect GPA semester. I gave myself grief about it all weekend and wondered if it would be worth it to take the final to try to bump up my grade. I fluctuated several times between taking it and not taking it. Finally, I told myself that it wouldn’t be worth it. The final exam was one everyone was trying to avoid because it is more about Statistics than anything else we didn't cover the topic to our satisfaction. There’s no way I coulda made an A in the final to carry me through my hump. I will just take my B+ and be happy. I am still praying that a miracle is possible and she’ll have a change of heart after seeing all the work that was put into my project and other work done in that class. If she doesn’t, I’ll be cool with it. I have one A at last and it has restored my confidence in my abilities. I’m happy and looking forward to my (hopefully) last semester. Yup, I applied for graduation last Wednesday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Believe me, I know how you feel. After an undergraduate education with stellar grades, I got to grad school, and started wondering what I'm doing here. The grades have a way of eating at one's confidence.

Glad you have a support system (your hubby) to see you through.

Congrats on your A!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Abeni - Thanks a mil, grad school is no joke. Goodluck to you with your edu. It'll be well worth the stress at the end of it all.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home