Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What to do, what to wear

My cousin is getting married this weekend and of course the question of what to wear came up.  Not being one to sweat these things so much these days, I figured, worahell, I will just wear the aso ebi (traditional outfit) to the entire event.  It cost me $300 (not including accessories or shoes) and since I'm not out to catch no man, I decided I would just wear the aso ebi the entire time and not just to the night party as I have been wont to do in my previous life.  In the past, I never really fancied the idea of wearing aso ebi (trad) to weddings.  It seemed the thing to do if you were older or married but not for chikitas like meself.  Anyhow, I am past that now.  These days, I don't think I would feel bad wearing trad to the church, reception, and after party (which in my cousin's case, is an extension of the reception not a go home and come back later thing).  If the after party were to be in a different location from the reception, I would feel differently about this.

Anyhow, this whole gist does not matter now.  I went to my tailor yesterday to try on my baffs and it was all sorts of wrong.  I had chosen a simple floor-length skirt and top with two slits at the back and a little bit of work on the arms.  Nothing extraordinary.  By the time I tried on the outfit yesterday, I wanted to cry.  He not only put the slits in the back, he added two in front .  Err, not going to happen.  I told him to close them up because I am not going down like that.  For the first time in my life, I went all out and did 5 yards to myself (Because of the high price of aso ebi, I normally try to squeeze in 3 if it's just me or buy 10 yards and share with two of my sisters).  Anyhow, this time around, I got 5 yards for myself.  You would think that would have been more than enough material for our Sura de tailor.  How about the skirt is like 3 or 4 inches off the floor?  This guy wants to disgrace me and my household!  I am so mad.  Just after I had raved about him to my husband saying that he's professional with his sketching and how he always makes sure to schedule a fitting before the pick up date.  Right now, I am looking for a new tailor.  Anyone know of a good one in the Atlanta area, give me a holler. 

With my plans being botched, I am back to way before square one.  I have to look for a dress or a skirt.  It has to be inexpensive because this wedding has already cost us a quarter past one thousand bucks and I still haven't bought the wedding present.  I will be checking out Loehmanns and maybe Filene's today.  I recently bought a cute top so maybe a nice skirt would do.  Nothing more than $50.  I ain't even bought shoes yet.  My plans initially were to look for some cute red shoes to match the gele and a little red envelope purse to go with it.  I might be returning the new MJ purse that I haven't used yet to get the shoes and bag.  I really don't want to come out of pocket if I don't have to.  It's a pity because I have been on the fence about this purse (humongous brown purse with gold details on SALE) and wanted to get my sister's opinion about whether it was a keeper or not.  Too bad I won't be giving it a chance.  I should have at least taken a picture but it is all water under the bridge now.  This new crisis has taken center stage.  Oh Lord, help me as it is the 11th hour! 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gbemi i feel your pain as this story sounds so surreal. This scenario happened to me last month.The tailor ruined our ankara top and guess what i ended up getting my refund back as i told her how wack the outfit was. ON top of that she cheated us on the satin she was supposed to use for the top. These tailors are crazy o.I ended up doing the same thing u doing now. Got a nice black top with a red belt to go with the ankara skirt and it turned out way nicer than that crap she sewed. Anyways enuff ranting, I am also in the ATL area and u should try out bridget moses she is good (marietta) and this chick named victoria. Bridget is expensive but she will sew ur stuff right. I can hook u up if u like.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Nubianprincess - I have never heard of anyone getting a refund from a tailor. That's really something. I also ended up sprucing up my outfit by adding a thick red belt. It went with the gele and my other accessories and ended up making the whole outfit look more interesting.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home