Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

House Rules

I was just wondering if people went over house rules with their guests.  I mean, if you're having guests stay with you for a disclosed length of time, do you welcome them, show them their bedroom, make them feel comfortable and then go over house rules?  I have thought about it.  We are having company over for a couple of weeks and before their visit, I wondered whether or not to go over my (not our) house rules with them.  For example, some dish towels are for dishes, not hands.  I have noticed that most people use dish towels for hands and dry their dishes with paper towels.  However, I have two sets of towels – one for hands and one for dishes.  DH knows exactly which ones are for hands because over time, I have had to remind him not to wipe his hands with the towels for dishes.  The towels for dishes are a particular brand and color and the ones for hands are the ones I usually get as gifts from parties, I think.  

Anyway, with us having guests over, I wondered whether to go over all this or whether they would think I was kinda sorta weird and anal.  I always worry about people thinking that I'm anal.  Apparently, one day, we had people over and I rushed to clean the pool of water that someone left on our wooden dining table as he raised up his glass.  I had no idea I did that but apparently, I did.  That brings me to coasters; I cannot stress how important coasters are when it comes to wood furniture.  I don't care if you put a sweaty glass directly on the granite countertops or on the console table with the glass top.  It really doesn't matter.  However, when it comes to wooden surfaces, it's a different matter because it leaves ugly circles etched in your furniture.  Also, I don't like people putting their legs on my furniture.  It's not that I think their feet are dirty, I just think it is disrespectful.  I do not put my feet up on people's furniture because I think it is rude. In my own house, I do as I please, I lay on my couch, prop up my feet on the coffee table (hardly ever, but it would be okay if I did) but I lay on my couch a lot because it is my house.  Finally, can I just say that I can't stand people that come in your house and start opening your fridge?  I remember when I lived with my sisters we would have friends come over and do that.  It annoyed the crap out of me.  In fact, I remember a while ago, one of DH's friends came over and did that.  He was like, "I'm hungry" and walked over to the fridge and started poking around.  

It is funny, when we were growing up, my mom and grandmother would always say don't do this because I don't want you going to other people's houses and doing this exact same thing.  I always wondered what all that was about.  Now, I understand that it is all about home training.  Seriously, people need to take some time out and make sure that their kids know how to act.  I can't stand kids with no home training but it's more forgivable with kids than adults.  Adults without home training don't make sense.  Period.  In the end, I decided to let it go.  I didn't go over any house rules because I thought it might be uncomfortable if I did that.  Not for me, for DH.  Instead, I removed the dish towels since I couldn't go over the house rules and I didn't want to give myself high blood pressure over that.   This version of me is letting go, not stressing.  I am actually trying to enjoy a house rules-free house if that makes any sense.  

2 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

No, I don't think you are anal at all because I am exactly the same. I am all for going over the house 'rules'. I don't have many but the few I have I want my guests to respect. As for the opening the fridge thing, I think that is a very Nigerian trait and I freaked out the first time someone came to my house and did just that. I was like WTH??? And it was the first time she was coming to my house as well. I couldn't get over it. I also remember once having a bowl of the most georgous (and expensive) mangos in my kitchen, and my friends husband came in, picked one up, bit into it said 'yuk' and put it in the bin! You should have seen the look on my face!!!!

So go ahead and lay down your rules I say!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Pilgrimage- Oh no, that man did not do that. How rude!!! Reminds me of a time when I had a birthday party for two for my husband and one of his friends dropped by. I had made some expensive crabcakes and his friend bit into one and then abandoned his plate after one bite. First of all, he wasn't invited, and then to waste my food...
This issue is sensitive and people take offence when you tell them how to behave in your home. There's no easy way to lay down house rules.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home