Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Ignorant Braids

Two words that describe what I have on my head - ignorant braids. My braids are so crazy looking it's not even funny. One thing I miss about Naija is the fact that hair care is so affordable. I have been wearing braids non-stop since last December. Not the same ones o. I got corn rows done twice and braids three or four times since December. These current braids are ignorant because they never looked good from the get go. Now that it's week number six, they just look plain ignorant. I usually try to keep braids in for eight weeks but as soon as finals are through, I'm taking these out next weekend.

The only question is, what to do next? I am getting tired of braids. At this stage in my life, they are the most practical thing. I get up in the morning, give them a quick brush and I'm off. Braids are great especially now that I'm in transition trying to go back natural. Actually, I'm not even sure that I'll be wearing my hair natural. To say that I'm torn about what to do is an understatement. I flipflop between going natural and getting a perm and that's why braids are the best thing for now.

The first time I went natural was in late 2001 and I kept my hair natural for a couple of years. I gave in due to peer pressure and now I'm pretty sure I want to go back natural, but not 100% sure. My neighbor has natural hair and her do is always tight. Looking back, I remember that as much as I loved my hair being natural, it was sometimes a challenge getting it to look right. One day, I just gave in and relaxed the dang thing. Last year was fun, I had this straight look with bangs. Not too bad. My hair was shoulder length and healthy. Then I got tired of dealing with the ceramic iron and using so much heat. That's when I decided to get corn rows and then braids and then the braids got ignorant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home