Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

My first Valentine's Day with BOB

This is our first Valentine’s Day with baby on board. This is the first Valentine’s Day that we haven’t had plans. The first Valentine’s Day with no late night after-work dinner. The first Valentine’s Day without flowers? The first Valentine’s Day without a gift? I don’t know. DH hasn’t given me anything yet. No flowers delivered to my job. For the past seven years, I’ve had flowers delivered. At first it was embarrassing. Everybody was like na wa for this your toaster o. I was embarrassed but definitely feeling the love. Year after year, I got something at work and then again when I got home. After a while, the mailroom guys started saying things like see you this time next year. Now, I’m sitting here expecting a lil’ something wondering if I’ll have to make the decision about whether to leave my flowers at work or enjoy them at home?

Maybe this year is supposed to be different. I don’t know. The other day, despite the frigid weather, I took Blu out to buy DH’s gift. I never really bought him anything on V-Day. I’m a me chick. I don’t usually do for him. I felt I owed him something because he’s been nice and I haven’t really reciprocated the niceness. I planned to leave it by his bedside table to surprise him in the morning when he woke up. Instead, the me inside surfaced and said, “How about you just hold on to see what he has planned for you?” I know, that’s not the business.

Maybe this year is indeed supposed to be different. Maybe I’m supposed to be the one doing the toasting. Maybe I’ll give him his gift at dinner and buy some tickets to see Ms. Scott. Surprise him like he surprised me with Stevie tickets. How do grown folks do Valentine’s Day? Is this what I should be expecting the rest of my life? Maybe it’s temporary until Blu gets out of the house. WooHOO! 18 more years of this. Nice!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger chioma said...

hello dearie! lemme tell u what a older woman told me years ago. She told me she was talking her hubby out for vals day, cus according to her ..when we never marry na him dey chase me, as we don marry me now na ma job to chase him" lol..not entirely true, really it should be both ways.celebrate your man whether he gets u anything or not.My husband has never gotten me anything for vals day..its always me giving him..so this year I just gave up!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Uzo said...

Aww...So what happened?

12:48 PM  
Blogger KemiMamaLopes said...

We finally agreed not to get each other cards or gifts this year. Did not really get the val vibes anymore. Bah Humbug.

Anyway will, live vicariously through you. So what did you get???

4:18 PM  
Blogger Mandy Brown-Ojugbana said...

Gosh! how did it go needless to say I spent it with my kids.

Kemi.. valentines is overated or maybe it is just for singles

8:14 AM  
Blogger SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

awww, val's day while pregnant or with kids can be tough. We all just have to find creative ways to enjoy the day, if possible. Hope your day ended well, though!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Naapali said...

You have to do what you believe is right, what comes from your heart cos, that is the only way to love.

BTW I do hate word verification. will u consider turning it off?

4:39 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@Chioma - LOL @ what that woman said. Why did you give up now? This might just be your year. What if he's expecting something? Maybe things are about to reverse themselves in your household.

@Uzo - I just posted an update. I was pleased at the end of the day.

@Kemi - What made you agree to such a thing? Go back and tell him you've changed your mind! Just joking.

@Mandy - It is overrated by the media, stores, etc. A few years down the line, maybe I won't care so much.

@SolomonSydelle - Yes ma'am! Couldn't agree more.

@Naapali - That's deep.
Sure I'll turn it off. Totally clueless about these things.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home