Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

I'm Just Big

So the other day, this girl that should know better asks if I have a bun in the oven. Bun ke? What do you mean bun? She points to her belly (which excuse me, is not the flattest in the world and I’m not being mean). I said: “No, I’m just big.”

I’m just amazed at how unupset I am these days at people thinking I’m either pregnant or still pregnant. Believe it or not but just a couple of months ago, this guy that I hardly ever see at work was at a meeting where I was presenting. When I went to sit down next to him, he asked when my baby was due. I looked at him straight in the eyes and said: “I had my son months ago.” And I was totally not embarrassed. Dude was though. We spent the rest of the meeting exchanging notes. Him apologizing and me telling him it was okay. Really. He totally didn’t upset me.

I really don’t blame all these people. Everyone that has had a baby lately has come out looking better than they did before they got pregnant. Not just the celebs. Even regular people I know. For some reason, I seem to be struggling. I have accepted that it will take me a little longer than I had originally thought. I almost accepted it when a friend told me that I will never get down to my regular size. Almost. Thank God for DH who was there when I hung up. He totally told me otherwise. Thankfully.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Naapali said...

Accepting oneself for who we are is key to inner peace. I am glad you have not given up on becoming who you want to be.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Naapali said...

re the clothing drive. Yes we have girls clothes aplenty. I can find a way to ship them to you in the ATL and/or contribute towards shipping the stuff you already have. Who is the destined recipient in Naija? I know Funmi Iyanda is involved with a group clothing orphans in Lagos (not sure if Lagos only or other places in the country). She blogged about this a couple of months ago.
You can email me. My email is on my blog profile. Thx

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my baby 5 months ago and people expect me to be back to my pre-natal size already. It's definitely about all these celeb mums who are meant to be dropping pregnancy weight in a few weeks. How ridiculous!

It's really hard but i'm determined to shift the weight though and it's coming off at about 2lbs a week. I've lost 15lbs over the past 9 weeks. Just cut out the junk and have huge salads in the evening with loads of fish or poultry. Oh, and i always have breakfast and never ever starve myself.

Chioma, London

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so paranoid about pregnancy and weight loss! and i believe that whatever those hollywood people are doing to get back to size zero within weeks after childbirth canNOT be healthy!

it's so cool that you dont let it bug you though. oh that i could be less vain!

11:59 AM  
Blogger SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

It took 9 months to put on the pounds and will take twice as long to lose it and hopefully gain muscle.

As a mother of 3 I totally understand this concept that all women will be in a size 0 dress after having a baby. Some can and some won't but at the end of the day, a woman's worth is not in her dress size or looks. It is in her spirit.

do you, girlfriend.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@ Naapali - I gave up but I'm baa-aack!

About the clothing drive, in Naija, they are going to Little Saints Orphanages - http://www.littlesaintsorphanages.org/
I'll send you an email with more info. Thanks again for your offer to help!

@ Chioma - Thanks for your comment. Congratulations on your weight loss. I've got 10 more lbs to my pre-baby weight but I'd like to lose more ;-)

@ Geisha - I'm totally vain. I want this excess weight gone. FAST! However, there's work to be done.

@ Solomonsydelle - Thanks for the reality check. I love that, "do you". I sure will!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Afrobabe said...

I don't even have a baby yet I am struglling with my tummy...guess its the pounded yam and chesse cake and...lol

12:49 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@Afrobabe - LOL. Pounded yam and cheesecake! To be able to have those again would be a dream. For now, I can only afford so much on my cheat day.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home