Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Graduation Day

Graduation Day has come and gone. It was very different from my undergrad experience. Instead of actually participating, hi-fiving and just being part of the fun, I was more or less a spectator at my own graduation. I looked with interest at the bachelor’s degree candidates, they seemed full of excitement, hope, and whatchumacallit? more hope. Goodluck to them.

It’s funny, when you now look back, those undergrad days were the bomb. My classes were usually around 10 am or later, and some of my classes met just once a week. That was the easy life. It didn’t seem that way at the time but it sure does now. I think the Masters degree candidates on the other side of the hall, like me, were very jaded. Someone said, “I guess it hasn’t hit them that they are actually going to have to ‘work’ from now on.” We’ve all been part of the active workforce for a while and have become rather cynical about what your degree really accomplishes.

All the same, I was happy to be walking (graduating), even though I’d started out feeling sad that my sisters weren’t able to be there and my friends (also jaded) didn’t see any point in coming to see me walk. It really was a good day. My number one supporter was in the stands with his giant camera around his neck. It made me feel a little sad for him that he was up there alone and not with a group like other families cheering on their loved ones. In the end, I was happy to finally get a hold of my fake certificate and shake the school president’s hand. Yup, that cylindrical thing they give you is indeed fake, the ‘real’ one arrives in about four weeks. Still, it feels good to have this part of my life over. I am not sure what to do next though. It’s not For one very brief moment, I thought it might be nice to go back and get a Ph.D, thus fulfilling a brief fantasy of contributing one day to Nigeria’s young minds as a university professor (I call it my third and final career). Nah, that probably ain’t ever happening. I did think about it though.

Anyways, to celebrate, we went to Nan – the stuck up Thai restaurant in midtown. We were too early and so we decided to go to Dolce – Ashton Kutcher’s new spot. It was still too early for that so we eventually went to Grape to get appetizers before heading back to Nan. They did not disappoint – the hostess wasn’t warm – she gave us an hour to eat and get out – and the Red Snapper was excellent as usual. We ended up going to our favorite dessert joint and by the time we got home at seven or so, I was beat. I napped for a couple of hours and then headed out for drinks with friends until two in the morning. Not so bad day, n’est-ce pas?

7 Comments:

Blogger nene's thots said...

congratulations gbemi.... Nan is a great place to eat and i love the way you phrased it (stuck up). they sure are. BUt hey i can't hate.. that place is d bomb. Where is dolce? never heard of it. I;ll be hitting there whenever am in midtown.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats

3:21 AM  
Blogger monie said...

Congratulations!... How do you feel..? Any different...? lol...

11:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Gbemi. So what next?!?

7:39 AM  
Blogger Naijadude said...

Congratulations on ur grad eh! Now welcome to the grinding world of corporate america eh!...

7:46 AM  
Blogger Aramide said...

wow ive missed so much :-/

Congratulations!!! :o)

12:30 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Nene's thots - Thanks! The food at Nan is great but some of the people that work there can put a damper on your experience. Dolce is at Atlantic Station - shouldn't be too hard to find.

Monie- Thanks! I am so happy it's over! Other than that, I don't feel any different. Maybe if it came with an automatic raise I would ;-)

Calabar Gal - Thanks! What's next? I'mma have me a baby!!!

Naijadude - Thanks! Yup, corporate America continues to beckon. Thing is I've been in the grind for a minute now and it gets old every so often.

Mona - Hi, good to have you back. Thanks!

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home