Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

November's Here!

November represents a lot of good things in my life and I'm glad to welcome this special month.  November is the month of my mother's birth, as well as DH, my best friend, my godmother, my three lovely cousins, and my neighbor Ray.   November also brings with it Thanksgiving, a time when people are particularly thankful for everything in their lives.  This year, I have a lot of things to be thankful for and I'll be sure to highlight all that makes me feel thankful in the coming month.   I am very thankful for the following people who will be celebrating their birthdays this month:

 

Mom – My moms is too special for words.   She is the kindest, most generous soul you will ever find in the world.  She sacrificed so much for me to fulfill my dreams and will do the same tomorrow if I were to ask her.   My mom now lives in Rwanda, a country I am ashamed to say I have never visited.  She lovingly travels a gazillion miles to visit each year and I know she would love it if I made the effort to visit her even though she hasn't ever complained.   I love my mom, love her to pieces.  I admire her for her selflessness, maturity, and dignity.  She is never one to ruffle any feathers and resolves matters as tactfully as possible.   She is the epitome of patience and embodies everything good that is in me.  She is probably the most under-appreciated person I know.  I remember being shocked when I found out that she actually had an important job.  As a kid, I was used to her being home when I left for school and being home when I got back that I didn't appreciate her career achievements until I visited her office and then later, when I saw her featured in a magazine.  More than ever, I am grateful to have such a prime example in my life.  Your going back to law school at this stage in your life and career is something I brag to my friends about.  If you can do the late night classes after having your degrees under your belt a couple of decades ago, I can hurry up and finish my MBA.  To this day, I continue to ask my mom for advice because she is always right or at least right most of the time.   This is my little salute to my maman who will be celebrating her birthday on the 29th.

 

My other Mom – I have always called her "Mom" but she is one of my closest aunts and my godmother.  I guess the reason why we started calling her "Mom" was because we heard her children calling her that when they moved to Lagos from London.   I don't know what we called our mom then but it wasn't "Mom".  "Mom" was reserved for my Aunty Theo.  Truly special.  I remember her taking me around to all the primary schools in the area when I was a kid because my parents hadn't gotten around to registering me or something.  I remember her fighting for me in the headmistress' office because she did not want me to be left behind with the kids born after September.   More recently, she was one of my supporters when so many people questioned the choices I made about how and where I got married.  I knew that no matter where we went, she would be there because she said so. No matter where I am, I will be celebrating with her on the 3 rd. 


DH – My oko atata (dear husband) is probably mentioned in every one of my posts.   He's my special man.  The one I knew I would end up with from the get go.  What a coincidence that we met millions of miles away when at one point in our lives we were neighbors but never ran into each other?   Dolly asked me yesterday how I knew he was the one and I said there was this peace about DH that always made me feel 'right' when I was in his company.   I'm doing a bad job explaining what made sense yesterday.  There is also this strength and kindness about him that draws people to him.  He is unique and untouched by the madness of this world; just goes about his business and keeps doing his thang.  My own special efiko that did not conform to peer pressure at a time when it was unbearable.   *Private joke*  He stayed in school and was unswayed by the big bucks and faux trappings of wealth that olodu boys were obsessed with at the time. He is my inner voice of reason that can sometimes be frustrating and almost make me want to cry because I can't admit he is right.   Anyhoo, I will stop right here because I've already said too much already.  I know you said you don't want me to throw you a party because you just want a quiet evening.   Let's just say, I'll see what I can do on the 8th.  No promises…

 

Filay – My best friend of twenty-odd years.   I remember you all the way from our class in Primary 2 when we had to work on something with that skinny boy Jude Nweke.   I think that's when we became friends.   It's always been us two through the craziness and the weirdness of teenage years.  We've seen each other through the days when baffs and dressing up was more important than school.   When getting valled was our biggest worry.  I saw you through getting serious about school (you left me alone there, I couldn't hang with all those all-nighters in the Unilag Library).   We've seen each other through giddy fun times and really really low times. You are now a wonderful mother and an annoying wife (LOL), just kidding.  Seriously though, she and her hubby are the IT couple.  I love the world they have built for themselves and their boys.  She impresses me with all her career achievements and I'm always proud to tell people about her accomplishments.   We started off as a couple of ignant kids, getting up to no good and doing what ever it was we felt like, but child, we've come a long way.   I am happy to say that I could count on you then and can continue to count on you today. 

 

Ray – This is my neighbor-friend that I've grown quite close to over the past couple of years.   Ray always has a friendly smile and is an expert at sucking me into hallway conversations that last for hours at a time.  In this day and time when you can't really trust anyone, she has invited me to her home several times and shared her family with me.   It's wonderful to know that the world hasn't gotten rid of genuinely nice people. Her life just seems so exciting to me.  She lives life to the fullest it seems, going to the theatre, hanging out with her friends, trying all sorts of restaurants and driving around in that super fancy car with her Jackie O sunglasses on.   The other day, she had just come back from trying an Indian restaurant I hadn't even heard about.  Seriously, I want to be like Ray someday.  Believe me, if I ever feel like my bedroom entire bedroom redone in my favorite color, I sure will because I learnt from Ray that you only live once, so do what you makes you happy in your bedroom because that's where you can be yourself.   Happy 80th birthday.  You look awesome!!!  Keep doing your thing Ray!   I'll do my best to find the most gorgeous lavender-hued flowers because I know that's your favorite color. 

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. May said...

Awwww......this is such a cool post. I think everyone is in the thanksgiving mood early, so many blogs today feature people giving props to their loved ones and have the commmon thread of being thankful. Great tribute. And your mother sounds really cool...law school AND living in Rwanda....tres cool.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Bella Naija said...

Great post Gbemi!
My mum's birthday is actually in Novemeber as well.
Two of my sisters and one of my closest friends are november babies too!
As Miss May said...wow! ur mum is really a remarkable women...happy bday to your husband too

1:53 PM  
Blogger Aramide said...

nice tributes

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww nice tribute to all these special peeps.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

What a lovely, happy post. You seem to be surrounded by some very loving people. Lucky you.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home