Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Crazy Dude

Don’t know why but reading a young Nigerian guy’s blog reminded me of an ex. They seem kinda similar except that this dude is not Nigerian. When we met, I was on a two-week vacation and thought it would be nice to be noticed and hang out with the guy during my stay. He seemed interesting, very odd, but whatever, I thought I liked him and it was okay if he was a little off. It would only be for 2 weeks any way. Turns out he was a crazy dude. Now that I think about it, I don’t even know why it took so long for us to break up. I was seventeen and thought it would last 2 weeks but it ended up being a long distance relationship that lasted four years. What a waste! I was so young.

He once told me that he tried to kill his brother. I don’t know if he was lying but I definitely don’t put it past him. He told me how he asked his cousin to help him buy a gun and how he once had a knife (or was it the gun, I don’t remember now) on him and he walked up behind his brother but didn’t do it. That brother of his is very sweet and I never understood why there was so much hate. I remember calling him (long distance) one day and it was probably early morning his time and a girl picked up his cell phone with a sleepy voice. He actually denied that a girl picked up his phone at that time. Still, that didn’t break us up.

He once got a girl pregnant while we were supposedly dating and she ended up getting an abortion. He says he did that for me. Out of the blue one day, he just burst out crying and said that it would have been his child’s birthday. Child? I didn’t know you had a child? That’s when the story came out. He showed me a cry stopper thingy (can’t remember the name of those things babies have in their mouths) and said it was for his baby. It’s crazy but I don’t think I was hurt by the betrayal. I only remember being sad that a child was lost in the process. Then another day, we were hanging out and his younger brother blurted out something about him living with someone back where he was going to college at the time. Still, that didn’t break us up. One day, he got a gift specially made for a friend of his back in college with the initial ‘K’. He even said her name when I asked who the gift was for. It rang a bell but that still didn’t break us up.

Eventually, I saw the light and moved on. Nothing happened. None of the usual drama, I just plain decided to move on for good. His mom called me and asked me to reconsider. I was polite and just listened. I knew there was no going back for me. I think a light bulb just went off and I decided to enjoy my youth and date saner guys whenever I decided to date again. He’s stayed in touch with my Aunt and has stayed over at her house. She is ‘Aunty’ to their daughter. Yup, he and K had a baby girl while we were supposedly dating and they are closer to my Aunt than I am now. I could get details from her about him, his life, but I never ask. Not interested. Just hope any children he has are well-adjusted and maybe that he treats ‘K’ right. Anyhow, the lesson is, get out early. Don’t waste your time. At the sign of first ‘madness’, ‘weirdness’, 'crazy', anything that makes you uncomfortable, get out and stay out!

3 Comments:

Blogger Azuka said...

What took you so long to call it off?

11:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

From your description, he sounds 'WACKO'. U're better off without him.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

zahymaka - I really don't know what it was. He had an edge and I was a bit rebellious at the time. Frankly, I never thought about it so I have no idea.

boos- Had. I like that it's in the past. Never again though. The going wasn't exactly good when I got out, there was nothing 'going' and I just wanted to live.

calabar gal- Wacko's a good one to add to my list of adjectives. Yup, life's good!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home