Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Out With the Wisdom (Teeth)

After doing a consultation with the oral surgeon yesterday (Thursday, I'm still on Friday time), it was decided that my wisdom teeth were impacted and I would definitely need to take all four of them out. What a way to spend two work-free days. Being that I had 22 vacation days left before the end of the year, and my oga had hinted that I should take some days off, DH and I went through our calendars and took a couple of days off in September, and a few other days every month through the end of the year. I was really looking forward to our September days off, since it would be the first four-day weekend in a while, and was hoping we could go somewhere fun or just hang out together. Turns out that our days off would be used for my oral surgery. Oh well, we've still got Saturday and Sunday left.

Prior to now, I'd heard people say that they've had to take their wisdom teeth out and always wondered why. Well, after going through the pain of feeling them grow and tear out my gums (TMI, sorry), I wanted nothing more than to take them out. I've heard some really bad horror stories from colleagues about needing a whole week off work after the surgery, how their faces doubled in size, and how they spent a lot of time in bed because of the excrutiating pain, my normally overly-confident self was not quite confident walking into the oral surgeon's office today.

During my consultation, I was told that on the day of the surgery, I would need someone to drive me there, stay with me the whole time in case something went awry and drive me back home. My plans to get my hair braided immediately after the 30-45 minute procedure went out the window and I was thankful that DH would be able to do the driving and stay with me throughout the entire time. On a side note, mucho gracias for carrying me up from the wheelchair into the car and telling me to watch my head. Thanks for getting me into the house mysteriously (I don't remember much of the drive) and helping me into bed. Thanks for changing out the gauze in my mouth and getting me salt water to rinse with. I still remember there was a time when I couldn't brush or floss with you nearby. How times have changed. Thank you for taking me around my favorite places and buying way too much food - A large cup of Tomato Basil Soup, Strawberry Romanoff Crepes, Mac and Cheese and Jerk Chicken and a Strawberry Milkshake from Johnny Rockets. In good time, I will do proper justice. Thanks for doing the laundry and cleaning up my mess. Gracias. Grazie. Arigato. Ose. Merci. Daalu.

Back to the surgery, I really had no idea it would be this serious. All I remember was the nurse asking me what flavor of laughing gas I wanted (the laughing gas is supposed to relax you before they put you under). The choices were, orange, bubble gum... I didn't let her go through the entire list but chose bubble gum. I figured, since I hadn't eaten, the bubble gum flavor would trick my senses. As the gas went through my nostrils, I realized I don't like the smell of bubble gum but it was too late. I drifted off to deep sleep and didn't wake up until I was being lifted unto a wheelchair. I've drifted on and off throughout today (still Friday in my books) and haven't had a chance to really talk to my peeps. Here's how my day went, people. Sorry I couldn't talk on the phone. I'm going back to bed now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pele o gbemi. I hope u feel better. I am addicted to this ur blog. I've never had any dental work done before and i didn;t know people had to go thru all that. U sure do have a loving husband. U make me want to get married. Anyhow, i do hope u feel better.Muah

4:37 PM  
Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

Pele. i know how it feels. I had the same problem, 'cos my wisdom teeth kept growing under the gum. It was fully grown and was still under the gum, but slowly pushing it's way out. I decided to have the 2 of them extracted at different times, 'cos i couldn't imagine taking the 2 out at once since they were on different sides of my jaw, how would i eat? Anyways, i didn't do full anesthesia, but the shoemaker of a dentist that extracted my left one, damaged a nerve, so even after the anesthesia wore off, i still couldn't feel anything by one half of my lip. I think the nerve is getting regenerated, 'cos all i feel now when i pinch that side of my lip is a tingling sensation. It was really bad before that i could cut myself there without feeling it. Is ur face swollen? Take pixs to remind urself. Anyways, hope u feel better soon. The yeye dentist was even telling me to come and get the upper teeth extracted since the supporting ones at the bottom were gone, so i don't start biting into my gum. I told him No Thank u, ese, not anytime soon.

10:29 PM  
Blogger LondonBuki said...

Ouch... sounds really painful!!!

Pele... hope you feel much better.

2:12 PM  
Blogger soul said...

oh god I've got my consultation at the hospital in mid Nov.
One of my wisdom tteth needs to come out. I hate needles with a passion and hate hospitals even more..

I was told it wasn't anything serious and that I'd be in and out in no time.. hmmm.. I think they lied to me
I'm going to have to go speak with my dentist

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home