Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Let’s put Blu on a schedule

Arggggggggh! My son has become a little bit of a terror at night. He’s cranky, loud (as in if we had a noisy generator going, the neighbors two miles away would still be able to hear him), and plain unsettled. I think he’s over stimulated. There’s too much going on around him. I don’t have a night time routine. Everything I’ve read says babies need some sort of routine. However, we just haven’t been able to stick to one. We tried once before and it worked. It was a pain to get him used to it, but it was great while it lasted. Unfortunately, when we went out of town, things went haywire. Now, it’s time to bring on the routine or put him on some kind of schedule.

Here’s what I’d like. I would like him to have at least one good nap during the day. Two, if the first nap is short (an hour or less). However, the second nap can start no later than 3:00PM. I’d like to be able to take him to the park on some evenings so he can get some fresh air. Finally, I’d like to get him in bed at 7:30PM…8:30PM at the latest. He’s a baby, what is he doing staying up so late? Also, in terms of his eating – he needs to do better in terms of solids. For all these to work, I’m going to need everyone on board.

Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, I think the reason we haven’t been too hard on him having a routine is because we ourselves would have to be on a routine as well. For him to be in bed by 7:30 would mean that we would need to be home by 7:00PM at the latest, give him a bath, read to him and then put him in bed. Also, I can’t have CNN on low while I’m trying to put him to sleep. I know… what was I thinking? This would also mean no longer being able to go out to dinner as a family, etc. Anyway, I’ve learnt my lesson and I am all for a routine now. Lack of sleep is whack.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm terrible with having a set schedule and much prefer being a "go with the flow" type, but I have a strong suspicion that this doesn't exactly work when you're a grownup, unfortunately. I also have a deep and passionate love for sleep. These two combined almost guarantees that being a mother will be a huge eye-opener for me! Oh woe!

Uh, back to you (sorry, I got carried away!): I guess if you guys go out (for dinner) say once a week, it'll only be that one night where things are sort of out of whack and the "norm" for Blu will be to be bathed and snoozing by 8:30 at the latest and hopefully he'll start being sleepy by that time even if he's not at home and then you can forgo his bath that one night if you don't want to wake him? (Ok, is that gross and unheard of?) In my mind that would still be pretty good if it's only one night that things are out of the ordinary.

And I'm told that when you have a schedule you get so much more done in the day...I need to look into this concept.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Naapali said...

We try to get ours into bed for 8:30, it works for older sister since she will stay in bed and read, the young'un gets out of bed multiple times to ask mommy to cover her (this is after I have done same after reading to her).

As for eating out, disaster! Baby sitter might be your best bet of enjoying time out, but I am not telling you something you dont know.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Morountodun said...

Kai this sounds like military routines to me!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@ Goodnaijagirl - I used to be a major sleepaholic if there's such a thing. Not so much these days. You get used to it. Forgoing a nightly bath is not gross to me. No, I didn't just say that. Anyway, if it happens, so be it. However, that's just part of our un-routine. Good advice.

@ Naapali - Sounds like your young'un just wants to be close to her mommy. She's using 'style' as they say. Good job, daddy. I'm sure she loves you reading to her. I try to limit weekend babysitters since I don't have the pleasure of his company non-stop during the week. However, if there's something I MUST do without my baybay, I have a standby person.

@ Morountodun - Nice name. LOL@ your comment. Yes o, it has to be executed with military precision.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, new reader here. For some reason I'm unable to subcribe to your blog, can you fix that?
Thanks.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wholesale ugg boots
winter ugg boots
cheap ugg boots
uggs outlet


UGG Classic Short Boots

UGG Ultra Tall Boots

UGG Short Metallic Boots

UGG Tasmina Sandals

UGG Nightfall Boots

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home