Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Woman on a cake mission

One of the things on my list of things to do before I turned thirty was "learn to bake something, anything." My big 3-0 has long come and gone but I've decided that there's stuff on my list that I still want to accomplish in this lifetime. With my mom, aunts, cousin, and grandma being great bakers, I'm thinking that might be one thing I could knock off easily.


A few weeks ago, I put my all into baking a cake that turned out okay. Being that I have OCD, I can't deal with okay. One guy at work suggested I might want to get a mixer. And so I did. Since then, I've made all sorts of cakes with different frosting/flavor combinations. The other day, I made some cupcakes and took them to work. They were gone within minutes! As in, I dropped them in the kitchen on my floor and by the time I went back to get coffee (I'd gone to get my coffee mug from my desk) - they were all gone.

I've been warned not to take people eating your stuff as a sign or anything so I didn't think much of it. Apparently, some people would just about eat anything if it's free. I typically want to know where they came from, who made them, whether or not the person has pets in their kitchen, etc. Anyway, I didn't think anything of it until this one lady waiting to get coffee told another woman that the cupcakes were exquisite. Oh, joy! I think. I know she didn't see me drop them off so her comment wasn't for my benefit or anything.


Fast forward a couple of days. Our nieces came to visit so I offered them the cakes I'd saved for them. To my dismay, one of them just licked off all the frosting and ate a few bites of the cake. The other ate more than half and abandoned the other half. Hmmm... so now I'm at a loss - were my cupcakes really 'exquisite' or did they really tank? I was beginning to feel like a guru but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, the plan is to bake something well and that was just one recipe I picked up (excuses, excuses).

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Naapali said...

The cakes were good especially fresh and your nieces are picky sugar rush loving young lasses.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um yeah, don't trust little kids with anything...i lick all the flavouring of pringles and throw the chips away lol.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

@Naapali - Thanks. I didn't quite see it that way. You're right, they were fresh the first time around. You also hit the nail on the head about sugar rush loving...

@Anon - Okay, I'll admit, all this was practice for another niece's birthday so I was a little pained that my 'experiment' didn't work on my other set of nieces. If we can't trust the kiddies' opinion on food, what can we trust them on?

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home