Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Testing the waters

Lately, I have been feeling quite overwhelmed with work. Not that I have too too much on my plate. I have quite a bit but there's a lot of stuff in there that I don't FEEL like doing. This has got me thinking about testing the waters. Put my resume out there and see what happens. However, that's not a fool-proof option. I like my job for the most part and I LOVE the company I work for.

So then, why am I looking to leave? I am a very creative person and I feel like my creativity is being stifled. So then, what makes me think I can be more creative elsewhere? I don’t know that I can, but then again, I don’t know that I can’t. Besides, who knows what I can get by putting myself out there? Now that I have an MBA, who knows if that changes things? Anyways, being me, I probably won’t be completely happy with a new job. I probably just need to amp up my side-gig. Working in corporate America gives me a steady paycheck while I get really great satisfaction and fulfillment from my side-gig.

This post is boring me already! I think the point of it is that I need to take my MBA use it for myself. I didn’t walk all those blocks to class in the last stages of my pregnancy for nothing. And in the hot sun too! I am thinking of emailing my profs and asking them to put me on projects that they know about on a pro-bono basis. I might get a big fat NO but then again, I might get into a gig that leads to other things. I’m officially juiced out. More on this later.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally feel you. I'm in a situation where I sort of fell into the work I'm doing and while I do enjoy it, I'm not fulfilled by it and I find myself brainstorming alternatives regularly.

It can't hurt to test the waters, and it's a good way to keep yourself current in your chosen career, even if you end up going with the side-gig idea as a way of feeding the creative side of you instead of doing that full time.

Do you have a specific side-gig in mind? I doubt your profs would decline such a generous offer!

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about this.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea it was kinda a boring post :P
on the real tho, if u feel what this post conveyed, u prob really NEED to switch things up a bit.

i'v missed reading ur blog... ure making blu go vegan?? one day when he's 3-and-a-half he'll take a bite of someone's chicken and resnt u forever for havin depived him....
lol. whatr u so scared of tho?

7:49 PM  
Blogger KemiMamaLopes said...

Testing the waters is great and exciting. Go for it. Weighing up options myself. All around me, even my own business does not excite me anymore. I will live vicariously through you so get testing :)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home