Telling my side of the story

WARNING: I'm not that deep.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Best Wedding Moment Ever

Yesterday, DH and I attended the wedding of Doreen and Bayo. Not to worry, I didn't wear either of my brown dresses. I felt it was time for a change. There was no way I could in good conscience wear either one of them. Besides, five weddings with either one of those two is enough. I didn't buy a new outfit either - I recycled something I had in my closet. Anyhow, having been to so many weddings in the past year, I wasn't too excited about going through the rigmarole of another wedding - sweating which outfit I would wear, getting my hair 'did', bracing myself for long speeches, etc. Instead, I totally went to this one for the couple. I was there to support them and witness their union. Knowing the bride, I had no doubt that it would be elegant and classy but I was hoping it would be nice and short as well so that I could go home, take off my shoes and get some ice cream that I'd been craving all day long. I've been having some crazy cravings lately.

DH and I got to the church and caught a quick glimpse of the bride before she walked in. I haven't seen a bride more beautiful. The ceremony was lovely. I may have fastfowarded through the submission part though. Anyhow, the couple looked really good together. The love shining through their eyes was palpable. It was wonderful to see young love and praying for the success of the marriage. At the reception, right before the cake cutting ceremony, I lowered my voice and asked my girl who was also at the wedding if she thought the bride would kneel. This is a question I usually reserve for one of my sisters but a close friend would do. "Of course", she said, taking all the fun out of it. It's always good to have one side on the yay side and another on the nay. I got up to take a picture of this beautiful moment and the chairman announced that the groom would be doing the first rites since he's going to be bringing home the bacon. The groom fed his bride. Next, it was the wife's turn and she got down on her knees to feed her husband. The chairman remarked that if anything, that gesture was total submission. I saw a few women with their geles nodding in agreement. I walked back to my seat and then turned back to take another look at the handsome couple. What do I see? Bayo takes another piece of cake, gets on his knees and feeds his bride!

Y'all, I cannot describe my joy. I think I must have done the loudest hallelujah. By the time I got back to our table, my girl and I were besides ourselves with uncontrollable hi-fives. Bayo restoreth our faith in Nigerian men. We could not believe it! He is probably going to get a big butt-whooping from the guys but that's okay. He's proven that 'submission' if that's what it is called goes two ways. That was a wedding first for me. It was by far the best wedding moment ever for me. In all my years of attending Nigerian weddings, I have never seen a man reciprocate by getting down on his knees to feed his bride. Everyone knows that Bayo's a man's man but he showed his wife respect like I've never seen it done. I already knew without a doubt in my mind how much he loves and adores Doreen but he's got another notch under his belt and Doreen's got a man who is worthy of all her love.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...thats beautiful..! She's blessed to have him....adn vice versa of course

7:38 PM  
Blogger Aramide said...

wowww some people would frown at that but i think its cool.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know i am going to get stoned for saying this but hey let the truth flow...The bible says nothing about men being submissive to their wives... i believe a man should be willing to lay down his life for his wife just as Christ laid His life for the church...I know the couple and i see the love in their eyes but i'll take Bayo's act as a form of jest and not a trend!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

No wonder u posted as Anonymous. Kneeling in my opinion, shows they've mutual respect for each other. It could also be a sign of submission. "A form of jest" it is to u; when it's ur turn, u don't have to kneel, no qualms about that.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Bella Naija said...

tht's really lovely....i totally respect tht....coincidentally, one of my good friends was a groomsman...i hope he learned from bayo...

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband knelt down when he fed me at our wedding and I must say I was really blushing!!! but I thought that was a really cute thing to do :)

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home